Steak........

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Where did you have the good steak in Eureka? How do you make your steaks?

The steak in Eureka was at a very unlikely place. I don't remember the name, but it was "The Garden Bistro" or something. It was a little place just off the main road, looked like a little sandwich, soup and salad joint with outdoor dining. Instead they served a lot of Italian dishes and other odds and ends. One of the specials was a KC strip, nothing else sounded good so we ordered a shrimp appetizer and the steak. (wife ordered some chicken thing) The shrimp was absolutely the best I have ever had. The steak was incredible.

When I cook steaks at home, I get my grill as hot as I can, usualy 500 ish. Soak the steak in Zesty Italian Salad dressing for a day or more. I season it before I put it on the grill with either a couple of things like season salt and garlic powder, or use a rub like McCormicks. 5-10 minutes per side depending on how done you like them, and how thick the steak is. Never poke the steak, only flip it once. The most important part, pull the steak off the grill and immedietly seal it up. Wrapping it in foil is the best. Do not touch it for 10 minutes. None of this cutting it to see how done it is, nothing. You get to have a feel for how done it is after a while, plus knowing about how long to cook it. That will make a wonderful steak as long as you bought a good one for starters.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree, that mine are better, but its the fact is that one gets to go out, and get waited on, and you don't have to clean up or wash the dishes afterward.

Thank you very much. That and the good company ... going to the steak house is reserved for time out with friends (that way I have an excuse to order the WHOLE bottle of wine). Otherwise ... it's cooking at home for us.

Woody's Janitor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We love to buy a whole ribeye and cut it up ourselves. I also like my steaks better than the restaurants. At least when you cook your own, you don't have to worry about what goes on behind close doors of the restaurant!

ldp4570

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We love to buy a whole ribeye and cut it up ourselves. I also like my steaks better than the restaurants. At least when you cook your own, you don't have to worry about what goes on behind close doors of the restaurant!

My brother is an executive chef at one of Atlanta's top country clubs, I've heard the horror stories of what goes on in kitchen. He's been working as a chef for over 20yrs now, he said not much has changed.

tweetr

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yep, home-done is the best steak. We start with a custom, nicely aged cut from Bill Kamp on north Western in OKC. Ribeye or KC Strip 1.5 inches thick, sirloin for the kids. Marinate lightly in soy sauce with a rub of fresh pressed garlic and black pepper. Just ten minutes or so, not long enough to overpower the beef flavor. Grill hot over peach wood for a lightly sweet smoky flavor. About 5 minutes per side for 1.5 inches done just on the rare side of medium. Tent under aluminum foil ten minutes or so for even cooking and best flavor. Serve smothered with baby portabella mushrooms sauteed in butter and cognac, the usual side dishes, and accompanied by a full-bodied cabernet.

Mm, sounds so good I'll have to grill in the warm weather this week! Even though we live in Tulsa now we still pick up Kamp's steaks when we visit OKC. Haven't yet found a butcher here to match. We are planning an OKC trip this week . . .

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just cant order a steak in a resturant any more. Even something special from Mortons of Chicago does not peak my tastebuds any longer. I remember last year, Mortons was running a $99 special for two that got you tenderloin and scallops. No wine or anything. But for $40 at home I could enjoy tenderloin, scallops, steamed veggies, wine and bananas foster. ;)

I just do not eat out very much any more. And when I do, its usually for something that is too much effort for me to make at home.

Latest posts

Top Bottom