Stillwater schools eliminating resource officers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stillwater public schools has decided to eliminate the SROs as part of their budget cuts. Sure, they have coaches whose only jobs are coaching, they are not teachers, but getting rid of the 3 SROs is the best way to go.....

Even though we had a kid bring a gun to school last year and blow his brains out in the hallway.... Less SROs is the answer.

They don't even pay their full salary, the city covered 75%!

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
On top of that, the district is buying the old Kicker building, with plans of turning it into the new bus barn. It is not even appropriate for that type of facility. It makes no sense at all.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Allow the faculty, staff, & teachers that want to carry a firearm for their protection, and their student's protection to carry a firearm. Gun free zones only empower criminals intent on doing harm. You can't provide safety and security for every person on the property, unless you assign an SRO to each person.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
SROs do more than just stand there with a gun. They help with many other situations that occur on a daily basis at the schools. We have 3 officers for the entire district, and the city funds 75% of their salary, the school district pays the other 25%. I like having the SROs on campus, especially at the junior high and high school levels. Fights, bullying, theft, etc. It is a deterrent that works, just like putting a security sign in your yard does more to protect your house than the actual security system.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
3 officers for 10 schools???? That's hardly any coverage at all. Again, allow the faculty, staff, & teachers that want to carry a firearm for their protection, and their student's protection to carry a firearm. Also, instead of putting a bandaid on the problem, replace the school board members that are mamby pamby (as Gunnery Sgt. Hartman would say). I have family that have taught in SPS. I'm a graduate of SPS. Attended many of the schools myself.

Give the coaches a gun and a badge after additional firearms training; they're already on salary, and, they know the students better than any SRO will ever know them. Give the principals or faculty a gun and a badge, just like a reserve police officer. Sounds like a good way to save money, and, provide better coverage, all along returning more liberty and freedom to the people entrusted to raise and teach our children from age 5 to 18.

If signage is more effective than tools, I guess I should get a T-shirt that says "Don't rob or attack me, I have a cellphone with speed dial to the police station"

Last edited:

AdvantageR1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Veggie is right (hadn't thought about it that way till he pointed it out).

They are the only school district reducing or eliminating SROs in Oklahoma.

If this is a political move it is one done in poor taste and at the potential cost of unknown crimes.

toehanus

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't have a dog in this fight, but I am kinda curious as to why Stillwater public schools is all of the sudden in such dire straits financially? Is their financial situation strictly regarding personnel?

Latest posts

Top Bottom