Stolen gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can we meet and the middle and form the reasonable opinion that it's not the theft victim's fault, but it's still prudent to not leave a gun in a vehicle overnight? Or do we have to take sides?

It is easier to take sides and argue to the death because we are middle age lower middle class white people that don't have anything better to do.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Can we meet and the middle and form the reasonable opinion that it's not the theft victim's fault, but it's still prudent to not leave a gun in a vehicle overnight? Or do we have to take sides?
That sounds more than reasonable. Especially in circumstances where you may have had to leave the gun in the car temporarily- like being downtown to run into the courthouse for a few minutes and have to leave it behind. Someone comes along and either jacks your entire ride while youre in there or breaks in and finds the hideyhole or mini-safe and takes the pistole.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's fine to say it's prudent to do something (or not do something), or this isn't what I do, or I think it's silly/stupid/irresponsible, etc. But going so far as to actually assign blame for some thief breaking through locked doors to get to an item is over the top, is my point.

Like leaving your axes/machetes/other assorted edged tools in your shed... if a thief breaks into your shed and steals them and goes on to murder someone with them, how much blame are we willing to assign to the original owner for "only" having it locked in a shed instead of secured in a more diligent manner?

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You want a little cheese with that whine? Sorry but as gun owners we have the responsibility to be smart with our firearms and leaving them in a car overnight is not smart. The thief gets 75% of the blame because he committed the crime, the owner that left it in the car gets 25% for leaving a gun in an easy to get to location.

Say your daughter is dressed like a slut, goes to a Southside OKC bar, drinks past intoxication, and takes a ride from a stranger and his buddies and is raped, what percentage of blame do you assign to her?

jfssms

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Say your daughter is dressed like a slut, goes to a Southside OKC bar, drinks past intoxication, and takes a ride from a stranger and his buddies and is raped, what percentage of blame do you assign to her?

Southside huh. On a scale of 1 to 10 how slutty was she dressed? can you provide visual aids?

Gabriel42

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Southside huh. On a scale of 1 to 10 how slutty was she dressed? can you provide visual aids?

1 being a nuns habit, and 9 being a moderators avatar, I'd go with a 7. But I'd like his assigned blame at 1 and 9 as well so I can try to figure out how heavily he weighs the slutty dress portion of his absolutely f*ucked blame assignment system.

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's fine to say it's prudent to do something (or not do something), or this isn't what I do, or I think it's silly/stupid/irresponsible, etc. But going so far as to actually assign blame for some thief breaking through locked doors to get to an item is over the top, is my point.

Like leaving your axes/machetes/other assorted edged tools in your shed... if a thief breaks into your shed and steals them and goes on to murder someone with them, how much blame are we willing to assign to the original owner for "only" having it locked in a shed instead of secured in a more diligent manner?

I get your point and agree with you. I've left guns in the car overnight by accident before. Just once or twice since I moved to town. When I lived on 5 acres with a garage I nearly always had a gun in the car. Very low risk of it getting hit back then. I was always nearby...truck was rarely out of my sight when not garaged.

I left a fairly rare vintage film camera in my ulocked car and lost it. No value to a thief so they likely chucked it. I was pissed. And pissed at myself for leaving it in there like a dummy.

Theft victim gets no blame from me. Still a good idea to be mindful of this, though. Many of my neighbors leave their cars empty and unlocked - to save windows. Cars are to easy and to common a target. Car break-ins make up the overwhelming majority of police reports near me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom