SU-16C opinions wanted.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedneckZombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Howdy all, I was recently researching Kel-Tecs .380 pocket gun and stumbled on the rifle pages on their website. I'm quite intrigued by the SU-16C. After watching some youtube stuff I am very interested in hearing some opinions born of hands on experience regarding reliability, accuracy and longevity. I like the fact it takes standard AR15/M16 mags. Am I better off with a Mini 14? Thanks to all in advance. RZ

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The guys at gun blast.com did a review on it. Any time I want some info on a gun that is new to me I just go to google and look for reviews, in this case I would type in keltec Su 16 reviews and kick back and read about it.

SevenSixTwo

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know you said hands on experience, of which I have none (so do what you want with this advice), but I did spend some time looking into this rifle. It is very interesting, it has an ak47 style gas piston, with an ar15 style bolt head, takes ar15 mags, etc... However, its a plastic fantastic and while I know that plastic handguns are very durable and reliable, I just don't know about a plastic rifle. I also remember reading somewhere that the barrel life is really short (6000 rounds or so) and that once the barrel is gone you have to replace the whole rifle.
Again I have no hands on experience. If I was sure of a decent barrel life then I would jump all over it because it looks like a great little package.

RedneckZombie

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Great info guys, thanks. Jurys still out as to whether or not i'll try to buy one. I'll always be a Mini 14 fan but I really wish they took the AR15/M16 mags. I'll be spending a lot more time on gunblast.com to. Great site.

henschman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If your main concern is mags, why don't you just buy/build a cheap AR, like a del-ton or R-guns or something?

SU-16's have horrible iron sights. In fact, I don't even think they're iron, or any other kind of metal -- more like plastic. They don't adjust in clicks or anything. i'm a huge fan of iron sights, so that's important to me... may not be to you. Mini 14s even have better irons than a SU-16.

I would pass on the SU-16. But Kel Tec's new RFB has me interested! .308 bullpup with a pretty innovative ejection method. I'm just waiting for them to come out with the longer barreled models, so I can get one that a GI sling will go on!

Latest posts

Top Bottom