Suspended License / No Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angsniper

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I believe that I would have been pushing for the cop to do more, if he still didn't, I would be speaking with a supervisor.

I understand that cops deal with this more frequently than most and can probably tell you what will happen in 90% of these situations but that still does not mean they don't have to do their job. Do you mind me asking where this took place?

My wife and I were in an accident where the other person did not have their insurance verification with them. No damage to our car so the cop wanted to just have us exchange information and handle it ourselves because "if he wrote a report it would show up on our record that I was involved in an accident." Thank you sir, but I would like a report. I don't care if it shows up on my record I was involved in an accident, at least if something comes of it, it won't be my word against theirs, there will be a record of the instance.

It happened on the on ramp going from I-240 east onto I-35 southbound. The traffic was stopped and he slammed into the back of her causing her to also hit the car in front of her.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Car wreck with someone hurt = arrest

My opinion

"The fact that a motor vehicle collision occurred does not necessarily raise the presumption that the defendant was following too closely, driving too fast to bring the car to a stop, or driving too fast for highway conditions."

The Oklahoma Supreme Court's opinion (Athey v. Bingham, 1991 OK 82, 823 P.2d 347).

Seems like we've had this debate before....

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Isn't true that you're unisurable if you have no license, unless it's a learners permit driving with an adult? Every person driving with a revoked license will not have insurance.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As a matter of fact, I don't. You can be arrested for assualting someone. And the charge is upgraded if you send them to the hospital.
§21 O.S. 641. Assault defined.
An assault is any willful and unlawful attempt or offer with force or violence to do a corporal hurt to another.

Show me the willful part of the accident, or else it isn't assault.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't true that you're unisurable if you have no license, unless it's a learners permit driving with an adult? Every person driving with a revoked license will not have insurance.

These two conditionals are not reliant on one another. I can lend my vehicle to an unlicensed person, but my insurance would still cover the vehicle. Likewise, if my license lapses (say, it expires or even is revoked) my insurance is not necessarily null and void until it is cancelled or non-renewed.

The two variables do however have a strong correlation.

jstaylor62

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It happened on the on ramp going from I-240 east onto I-35 southbound. The traffic was stopped and he slammed into the back of her causing her to also hit the car in front of her.

That section of roadway must be the most dangerous mile in OKC! I would estimate there are 200+ accidents a year in that location. I pass by there every day on my way home from work during rush hour Mon-Fri and could count on my hand the number of times that I have NOT seen an accident in the process of being worked.

mchj74

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cards81fan you are giving alot of misleading information you need to read state statues before commetting.

1. Driving DUS is a jailable offence. state statue 47 6-303 misdemeanor offense

2. If you allow/permit a person to drive that is DUS/unauthorized you can be cited a ticked read state statue 47 6-305 misdemeanor offense

3. Failure to comply with compulsory insurance law state statue 47 7-606.A.1 misdemeanor offense

4. Punishment of misdemeanor state statue 21 10

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Cards81fan you are giving alot of misleading information you need to read state statues before commetting.

I never asserted anything contrary to your statements.

1. Driving DUS is a jailable offence. state statue 47 6-303 misdemeanor offense

I never said it was not "jailable." In fact, I understand that any ticket/citation can become a offense where one is taken into custody, depending on the events and outcome (i.e. refusing to sign a ticket).

I simply offered that "I tend to think no; these offenses on their own do not constitute an arrest (i.e. hook 'em up and take them to the station) but rather citations." (Emphasis mine). Which most officers seem to agree with, based on the anecdotal comments in this thread where offenders are simply cited if even that. What statute allows and what pragmatic officers do may vary quite a bit.

2. If you allow/permit a person to drive that is DUS/unauthorized you can be cited a ticked read state statue 47 6-305 misdemeanor offense

I never said that was wise, or legal. I did note that some insurance polices may still afford coverage to those who are permissively allowed to drive a vehicle. This may be true despite the driver being unlicensed.

3. Failure to comply with compulsory insurance law state statue 47 7-606.A.1 misdemeanor offense

I never said one should drive without insurance.

More specifically, you should clarify that insurance is not compulsory. Financial responsibility is compulsory, which is mostly handled by a liability policy covering the vehicle. There are other options.

4. Punishment of misdemeanor state statue 21 10

Not sure which of my comments you are relating this to ??

Before you label me as misleading, you need to understand the context and intent of my comments. Some of the questions here end up being very narrow, and thus receive very specific answers (like the ones I gave).

Latest posts

Top Bottom