Talon Grip Wraps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I ordered one for my S&W Shield 2.0. .45.

The grip was pretty aggressive against my skin. So much so that I couldn’t carry it every day.

Anyone else use them? How do you like it, and how long has it lasted for you?

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I prefer the rubber texture Talons for carry guns. I’ve had them last a couple of years at least. I think the trick is cleaning the frame really well with 90% iso-alcohol and using a heat gun on the grips once you have them placed the way you like them. I can’t remember the temperature they recommend for best adhesion but a contactless thermometer helps.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I prefer the rubber texture Talons for carry guns. I’ve had them last a couple of years at least. I think the trick is cleaning the frame really well with 90% iso-alcohol and using a heat gun on the grips once you have them placed the way you like them. I can’t remember the temperature they recommend for best adhesion but a contactless thermometer helps.
I watched the install video. I don’t have a heat gun, but I’ve got access to a hair dryer that gets pretty hot. Hopefully that will be enough.

It’s either the wraps or I’m going to have to take a piece of sand paper to that grip.

ricco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Talon sells 3 textures, I have the "PRO" on my carry pistol, the PRO splits the difference between the "rubber" and the "granulate". The PRO is a little rough but not uncomfortable. I've had them on my pistol for about a year and have no complaints

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don’t like it on stuff I’m gonna conceal, but I don’t mind it on other stuff. Put it on an AK once, I really liked it. Well, I didn’t use the name brand stuff, I went to the local Zumies in the mall and bought a sheet of whatever color/design skateboard grip tape tickled my fancy for $5 and cut it out myself. It’s really easy to do.

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have Talon grip tape on my shield. Been a few years, but I remember there were 2 types of textures available. I got the smoother one as the sandpaper type was way too rough for carrying. Still on like new for at least 3 yrs & it’s my regular carry piece.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I really like the Pro series. I have it on *a* pistol, but not my carry pistol. My carry pistol was too rough so I put a 20 year old grip sleeve on it.
If I were to buy, I'd definitely get the pro series. Feels like a warm truck bed liner to the hand.

Mad Professor

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have the granulated (silicon carbide) on several of my match guns. It is a bit rough on the skin for concealed carry. I’m been running their Pro version on my current concealed carry gun for about two months with no problems or discomfort. I like it a lot. All of my future match guns will get a Pro grip.

Daryl Licht

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The first one I tried was the granulate type on a gen 1 Shield. It was great for shooting but when trying to conceal it always hung up on my shirt. That gun as well as the P10C I carry at times now have the rubber Talons on them and they are great. Debated some about putting them on the 2.0 M&P Compact but I like the stock texture on those. If I'm not tucking a tee shirt I just leave the Smith at home and carry the CZ.

Talon says that they can be expected to last 1-3 years. They're not a forever thing but since they're up front about it I can live with it.

The heat gun makes a difference. A good stout hair dryer should get the job done though.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The first one I tried was the granulate type on a gen 1 Shield. It was great for shooting but when trying to conceal it always hung up on my shirt. That gun as well as the P10C I carry at times now have the rubber Talons on them and they are great. Debated some about putting them on the 2.0 M&P Compact but I like the stock texture on those. If I'm not tucking a tee shirt I just leave the Smith at home and carry the CZ.

Talon says that they can be expected to last 1-3 years. They're not a forever thing but since they're up front about it I can live with it.

The heat gun makes a difference. A good stout hair dryer should get the job done though.
A hair dryer was plenty.

I have the granulate. It’s still plenty coarse, but if it’s still too rough the install instructions do say you can take a 120 grit piece of sandpaper to their grip for a less abrasive feel.

I’ll carry it a few days and see before I sand it down. Sanding the Talon is much preferable to sanding the actual gun to me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom