Tate Publishing melt down

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I listened to the audio from the meeting. I've been the manager for several companies during lay offs and changes, not all bad. I now also own my company and have employees. I'm proud of my business and hard work, I'll fire you in a minute if you don't treat my business with the same respect that I treat you.

So many people are just followers who don't understand what it takes to own and operate a successful company. I have no issues if it fired them all and releaseing people who damage the company has nothing to do with their faith.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, that's a rather pointless comment. But, it's OSA - and here is my go at it -

Company culture is a hard thing to manage. Tate Publishing has grown pretty quickly, from just a few loosely related folks and family to a pretty big company. It is difficult enough to manage that transition for skilled managers, even harder for entrepreneurs who have to transition themselves from micromanagement style to a corporate mindset.

I suspect this whole thing is an ugly case of neurotic managers having a hard time adjusting to the reality that corporate management and leadership does not always mean you wear the pants and rule with an iron fist, and a bunch of mildly bored, drama prone, twenty something young professionals not knowing when to shut up and work.

I think the Tate Family are good people, and they certainly have done many pragmatic and generous things that haven't at all been noted by the media. Airing dirty laundry in public always seems messy.

What's this I hear about you having problems with your TPS Reports?

Didn't you get the memo??!?

KYLE_B

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Although I know none of the details of Tate Publishing, I can somewhat relate to what he's saying. Anytime you have have employees conspiring against the owners it's never good. I employ around 60 people currently and if one of them starts with any crap I let them go. Many years ago I was far to nice to a troublesome employee and I learned my lesson. He would start to constantly stir the pot with me and other empoyees. Before I knew it he had turned just about everyone against me. It got so bad that I didn't even want to go in to work anymore. Of course it all came to a head one day and he walked out. He got almost everyone else to quit within a few days. I guess they thought they were really going to hurt me. I changed the locks and never looked back. I filled all of the jobs over the next couple weeks with a new group of people that actually wanted to work for me. Sales soared with the new employees and I enjoyed the business again. Point is misery loves company. One miserable person will poison the entire group that's why as soon as I detect it, they're gone.

KYLE_B

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Also, anytime someone promotes themselves or their business as christian based, I run the other way. My biggest losses have been from being ripped off by such organizations.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm of the opinion that if you're running a good show, then you won't have too many employees who act out of line. Sure there are always some that do act up, but most other employees are smart and reasonable enough to sort it out and not worry too much about it.

I agree with getting rid of bad apples. I've let go a few who weren't doing the team or the company any good. That's part of business. In this case however, I can't help but be appalled at the actions and words of the "CEO".

I've led not only Marines, but years ago before I started working for myself I worked for one of the top Fortune companies at the time and I ran a team of 60 professional employees with 3 managers in 3 different sites. I know a thing or two about managing people is my point.

What this "CEO" exhibited in this meeting is nothing short of an egomaniac who has NO CLUE how to lead or manage people. I can't imagine ANYONE wanting to work there after that. Being called idiots, stupid and morons and threatened with their jobs and million $ lawsuits and owning their life doesn't exactly motivate people to work hard for you.

Nut job... complete nut job.

Ps. Go listen to the recording of the meeting before you reply to my statements too...

http://journalrecord.com/2012/05/31...es-25-as-outsourcing-rumors-fly-general-news/

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
cdn.memegenerator.net_instances_400x_21308172.jpg

Latest posts

Top Bottom