That wasnt very nice.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishfurlife

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't burn during bans or high winds, but with a 30-day statutory minimum length of a burn ban, that makes it near impossible to find a good time for a burn.

This is nearly a whole different topic, but it fits good here. For individuals that use burning as a tool for land management, there is nothing good that comes from a 30 day burn ban in counties. Roger Mills county kicked that trend off this year and it was followed up this week by a few other counties. Complete ignorance by the county officials IMO.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is nearly a whole different topic, but it fits good here. For individuals that use burning as a tool for land management, there is nothing good that comes from a 30 day burn ban in counties. Roger Mills county kicked that trend off this year and it was followed up this week by a few other counties. Complete ignorance by the county officials IMO.

It's neglect on their part to not come back and rescind a burn ban after conditions have ceased. Their hands got tied by your elected officials at the Capitol in 2009 when it comes to the minimum length of a burn ban.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've looked into hauling it to the dump. It's much more cost effective to let it sit and wait for a good burn day.

What are you burning/dumping? I try to utilize objects that require dumping (some appliances, furniture) as targets first. Spices up my shooting day a little, and cuts items down to a more manageable size sometimes.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's neglect on their part to not come back and rescind a burn ban after conditions have ceased. Their hands got tied by your elected officials at the Capitol in 2009 when it comes to the minimum length of a burn ban.

I am not sure what the law says about length... But being part of one of the largest fire department in my county, I can assure you a 7 day burn ban was/and can be enacted as well. In fact, a 7 day burn ban was enacted previous to the 30 day ban. The 30 day ban can be lifted before the 30 day ban through the same process it is enacted. (County Comissioners often use county fire department officials to help influence the decision)
One of the biggest reason the 30 day ban is used instead of the 7 day ban is so they dont have to meet weekly unless the "fire potential" changes.
There could probably be some better ways of doing it. But in my opinion it is the most efficient way of doing it. A daily report and determination by fire officials for the local area would be the most accurate and allow more controlled burns to take place during the times that would be under a burn ban but would also be a logistical nightmare.
I am currently a 10 year veteran as a volunteer firefighter in a combined fulltime/volunteer fire station and I personally have dealt with many people who can do a controlled burn as good as a baker with 20 years experience can decorate a cake. Likewise I have dealt with some who its likely they could burn there house down with cndles on the birthday cake. The burn ban in my opinion is a blanket protection that unfortunately has to apply to both.
(posted from phone I will proof read when I get to a computer.)

springfieldxd23

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I am not sure what the law says about length... But being part of one of the largest fire department in my county, I can assure you a 7 day burn ban was/and can be enacted as well. In fact, a 7 day burn ban was enacted previous to the 30 day ban. The 30 day ban can be lifted before the 30 day ban through the same process it is enacted. (County Comissioners often use county fire department officials to help influence the decision)
One of the biggest reason the 30 day ban is used instead of the 7 day ban is so they dont have to meet weekly unless the "fire potential" changes.
There could probably be some better ways of doing it. But in my opinion it is the most efficient way of doing it. A daily report and determination by fire officials for the local area would be the most accurate and allow more controlled burns to take place during the times that would be under a burn ban but would also be a logistical nightmare.
I am currently a 10 year veteran as a volunteer firefighter in a combined fulltime/volunteer fire station and I personally have dealt with many people who can do a controlled burn as good as a baker with 20 years experience can decorate a cake. Likewise I have dealt with some who its likely they could burn there house down with cndles on the birthday cake. The burn ban in my opinion is a blanket protection that unfortunately has to apply to both.
(posted from phone I will proof read when I get to a computer.)

Agreed!!

shooterdave

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
OkBassin, I agree 100%. Especially in our smaller counties in southern/southeastern OK the commissioners work closely with the fire chiefs in their respective county to figure out what is best. Many times all it takes is a good couple of days rain to lift the ban. My Dad (asst. Fire chief) is in a meeting right now talking about this very issue. We talked about it last night among the Dept. Really, this is the only affective way to analyze all of the factors and make the best decision for the county. After all, the conditions between two counties can be dramatic depending on rainfall, temp., humidity, barometric pressure, etc. A stalled front can dump three inches on one county and not a drop on the county below it. Seems a shame to decide the fate of both based on the same criteria.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Ahh... I was misinformed by someone in another department (won't mention which one). The law is "up to 30 days". But it seems the norm in my county is to do a 30-day and be done with it.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ahh... I was misinformed by someone in another department (won't mention which one). The law is "up to 30 days". But it seems the norm in my county is to do a 30-day and be done with it.

Veggi Meat: I didnt mean to sound like I was attacking you. I aologize if that is how it came across. As far as being misinformed by someone in another department, I can completely understand that. That is just the way it is sometimes. We have a guy or two in our department that are likely to do the same.
I am still on this phone so I cant proofread and correct very easily.

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Veggi Meat: I didnt mean to sound like I was attacking you. I aologize if that is how it came across. As far as being misinformed by someone in another department, I can completely understand that. That is just the way it is sometimes. We have a guy or two in our department that are likely to do the same.

Nah, you didn't come across "attacking" at all. I spend 95% of my time on OSCN in Titles 21 and 22. I should have double checked before I posted.

Latest posts

Top Bottom