The (New) Adult Beverage thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'd be fibbing if I said I wasn't a rookie, still trying to get the perfect blend. Adding these new cherries and the new bitters will throw another wrench into the recipe. Usually 3-4 dashes of bitters and bout half a shot of water and mix a teaspoon of sugar. 1 shot of Makers, mariachishno cherry juice, Add some cute ice spheres and a twist of orange.

Yea I know I made something all together dif and a lil sweeter but it tastes like chicken to me.

If i'm having several then i'm a fan of taking an orange slice and putting it in the glass with the cherry and a small bit of simple syrup and then muddling them together. Then 1-2 dashes of the regular (not fruit flavored) bitters. Top with ice, bourbon (or rye) and then a splash of club soda.

Our local bar just switched to a different kind of cherry (darker), which is nice.

If i'm just having one then i like to take the outer orange skin and twist it into the glass along with the simple and a dash of bitters. Add a large ice cube and top with bourbon.

The large cube is key and highly recommended

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Several weeks, easy. I use Splenda for sweetening, not sugar. Just made some nice margaritas...

8 oz reposado tequila
4 oz Courvoisier
4 oz orange liqueur
16 oz fresh sweet & sour

So - 2:1:1:4. Pour over ice. No salt.

They're awesome. :D

what is your sweet & sour recipe?

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
what is your sweet & sour recipe?

I've done it a couple of ways...

Lately, I'm doing fresh-squeezed lemons and limes in equal amounts, usually end up with about equivalent amounts of juice, except in winter, when the limes are pretty small. I strain the juice 5-6 times through a fine strainer. Because the fresh juice has not just a lot of pulp, but alot of "gel", I usually have to use a spoon to keep scraping the strainer to keep it flowing and rinse it frequently. But after the first or second straining, it goes pretty easy and quick. Once I've gotten it down to very well-strained juice only, I mix in an equal amount of water - 1:1, which is a recent change from adding double the amount of water. It's a bit stronger mix this way and I like it a good bit more. Then just sweeten to taste. Depending on the ripeness of the fruit and season, this may take more sugar at times to overcome the acidity and reach a nice balance.

I actually use Splenda to sweeten it, partially just because I don't drink sugary drinks (only drink diet soda) and partially because it dissolves about a zillion times easier than an equivalent amount of sugar. There is a segment of the population that says they can taste a difference between sugar and Splenda, but to me it is indistinguishable. So, it's a no-brainer for me.

Last night I squeezed 6 lbs of fruit - Meyer lemons (2#) and some nice limes (4#) I found and ended up with 5 1/2 cups of juice after complete straining. Added 6 cups of water and I think it took 6 or 7 cups of Splenda. This is one of the better batches of s&s in a long time, due to the quality of the fruit improving from what we've gotten over the last 3 or 4 months.

I use an automatic juicer, no way I'm squeezing all that crap by hand. It's still about a 20-minute process to go through all that. But it is totally worth it.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Your S&S recipe sounds great. In that spirit, I'll add to the list a sidecar. A simple little three-part cocktail that, done right, will leave you flat under the table wondering what happened, because you never tasted the alcohol.

Using good ingredients, mix four parts brandy, two parts Cointreau (no substitutions there; other orange liqueurs simply won't do), and one part sweet and sour. Shake hard with ice, strain, and put a pillow on the floor so you're comfortable later.

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've done it a couple of ways...

Lately, I'm doing fresh-squeezed lemons and limes in equal amounts, usually end up with about equivalent amounts of juice, except in winter, when the limes are pretty small. I strain the juice 5-6 times through a fine strainer. Because the fresh juice has not just a lot of pulp, but alot of "gel", I usually have to use a spoon to keep scraping the strainer to keep it flowing and rinse it frequently. But after the first or second straining, it goes pretty easy and quick. Once I've gotten it down to very well-strained juice only, I mix in an equal amount of water - 1:1, which is a recent change from adding double the amount of water. It's a bit stronger mix this way and I like it a good bit more. Then just sweeten to taste. Depending on the ripeness of the fruit and season, this may take more sugar at times to overcome the acidity and reach a nice balance.

I actually use Splenda to sweeten it, partially just because I don't drink sugary drinks (only drink diet soda) and partially because it dissolves about a zillion times easier than an equivalent amount of sugar. There is a segment of the population that says they can taste a difference between sugar and Splenda, but to me it is indistinguishable. So, it's a no-brainer for me.

Last night I squeezed 6 lbs of fruit - Meyer lemons (2#) and some nice limes (4#) I found and ended up with 5 1/2 cups of juice after complete straining. Added 6 cups of water and I think it took 6 or 7 cups of Splenda. This is one of the better batches of s&s in a long time, due to the quality of the fruit improving from what we've gotten over the last 3 or 4 months.

I use an automatic juicer, no way I'm squeezing all that crap by hand. It's still about a 20-minute process to go through all that. But it is totally worth it.
Thanks. I'm gong to make some!

RidgeHunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Nobody just goes simple/traditional with 3 ingredients: tequila lime juice and Cointreau? I stopped usung Cointreau even, only a bit of agave nectar.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Why ruin good tequila with anything?

We took the Tequila tour out of Puerta Vallarta a couple years back where they make the "single barrel" type. Good Lord, that stuff was impressive how smooth it was. Never understood why anybody would want to pay for the high end tequila until that day.

No cheap stuff passes my lips now, and its always served neat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom