This is quite interesting as well as disturbing - Obama is dangerous to all of us!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you carry a big enough stick, no one will mess with you. We haven't big enough sticked anyone since 1945.

My God - we spend more than the next 17 countries combined on defense, and that isn't a big enough stick? And this time we don't have Mother Russia to soften up half of the opposition.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is precisely the British attitude that Washington fought against. Isn't it a little more self-absorbed to think we know what's best for the entire world and that we should be policing everyone?

Seems like we've never given "leave us alone and we'll leave you alone" a chance since Washington's time - and that's not really worked out super-well for us.

I am astounded that a people who just had their nation lead the entire free world through the cold-war, which without US leadership/strength would have left us alone with no trading partners and an entire Europe under Soviet domination for decades (at least), can really believe that the US should withdraw into a shell or stick its collective head into the sand and pretend world events will just happen and leave us alone along the way.

Maybe I am mis-understanding are you really saying that you believe that the US has become reckless and misused the right to intervene, even abroad, as necessary or are you saying that even if reasonable and practical the US has no moral right to intervene anywhere?

Also please remember that in (nearly) every place we have intervened there have been some elements that really did want our help if that matters in your equation.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BTW - our military budget didn't and isn't bankrupting us. We are spending a very small proportion of the GDP on military spending and the military itself is among the smallest we have maintained in decades. Spending has gone up since 2001 (which started as a small defense budget) but our wealth as a nation has grown faster than our military spending. In fact, military spending post-cold war is one of the few areas of Federal spending that has suffered real cuts (not just growth trimming). The real problem is that we now spend much more on other, very inflexible programs - basically social benefit programs that become expected regular "rights" by people and are notoriously difficult to cut...unlike military spending.

We also have acquired the habit of avoiding taxes while demanding additional spending and then allowing deficits to build which themselves become drains on the budget.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am astounded that a people who just had their nation lead the entire free world through the cold-war, which without US leadership/strength would have left us alone with no trading partners and an entire Europe under Soviet domination for decades (at least), can really believe that the US should withdraw into a shell or stick its collective head into the sand and pretend world events will just happen and leave us alone along the way.

Maybe I am mis-understanding are you really saying that you believe that the US has become reckless and misused the right to intervene, even abroad, as necessary or are you saying that even if reasonable and practical the US has no moral right to intervene anywhere?

Also please remember that in (nearly) every place we have intervened there have been some elements that really did want our help if that matters in your equation.

Definitely this. It's also difficult to claim the moral high ground when you ignore some of the worst evil around the globe, while specifically targeting other, lesser evils. The same for using tactics that we would condemn unilaterally if used against our troops.

And just because someone wanted us there, isn't really valid either. Truly oppressed and victimized peoples beg us for help all the time, and they are ignored. :(

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm all for stamping out extremists who threaten US citizens. But we can't spend an ever increasing several hundred billion dollars a year doing it. I want it done much cheaper. Our latest and greatest fleet of warplanes comes in at an estimated $51,000/hour to fly and will cost well over $1 trillion to buy. Because clearly we don't already kick enough ass. I mean, could we not get by with our current fleet while we get out of debt and keep our R&D going for the next, next best things?

The collateral damage done by drone bombings kind of makes me sick just a little bit. It's very effective and probably illegal and immoral to do. Thinking about the hundreds of demolished remains of bombed out women's and children's bodies makes me sad. All that said, I would probably advocate the most for it because I think about the thousands of terrorist's, their families, and sympathizers our drone's destroy. And it makes sense dollars and cents wise.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You know what would save even more lives? If we minded our god damn business and quit interfering in the affairs of foreigners.
The whole "Al Qaeda" thing is a boogeyman to give us an excuse to exercise our will over even more of the globe.
Well they damn sure ain't doin' it on their own.....so I mean how else do ya' figure they are gonna' quit screwin' around and accept Jesus Christ as their lord and saviour?
:coffee2:

Definitely this. It's also difficult to claim the moral high ground when you ignore some of the worst evil around the globe, while specifically targeting other, lesser evils. The same for using tactics that we would condemn unilaterally if used against our troops.

And just because someone wanted us there, isn't really valid either. Truly oppressed and victimized peoples beg us for help all the time, and they are ignored. :(
For the sake of argument let's say it has been all above board and well intended....how much do ya' figure the concept of "picking yer battles" comes into play in those scenarios?
I mean, do ya' figure maybe some situations aren't outright ignored/disregarded with ill intent but rather there hasn't been a practical way to resolve them without the possibility of creating a huge problem much too dangerous to risk?
:anyone:
AND
Isn't that...uh, I don't wanna' say "largely the reason" because I don't know to what degree I'd be bullshitting myself, but isn't that some of the reason countries have been known to fund "revolutionaries" in other places?

aeropb

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Then we get to help them rebuild once we knock their shithole down. Might as well squander a few more billion borrowed dollars. We'll find out later from the GAO that most of it went unaccounted for anyway. No one will get fired. No rich men will hang. No one is afraid anymore.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm all for stamping out extremists who threaten US citizens. But we can't spend an ever increasing several hundred billion dollars a year doing it. I want it done much cheaper. Our latest and greatest fleet of warplanes comes in at an estimated $51,000/hour to fly and will cost well over $1 trillion to buy.we don't already kick enough ass. I mean, could we not get by with our current fleet while we get out of debt and keep our R&D going for the next, next best things?

The collateral damage done by drone bombings kind of makes me sick just a little bit. It's very effective and probably illegal and immoral to do. Thinking about the hundreds of demolished remains of bombed out women's and children's bodies makes me sad. All that said, I would probably advocate the most for it because I think about the thousands of terrorist's, their families, and sympathizers our drone's destroy. And it makes sense dollars and cents wise.

Thought they cancelled the F-22 raptor?

Latest posts

Top Bottom