Two or Three Free Rooster Chicks

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
So I have three roosters that are going to need to be rehomed or put down due to me being within city limits. I'm not a huge chicken person so here's what I know about them:

1. One is black with gray accents. The others are dark brown models.
2. They came from eggs a friend of mine gave us to hatch.
3. They hatched April 14ish.
4. We've done no vaccinations, they appear completely healthy.
5. They don't respond to their names but the black on is Shadow, Brown number one is Smores and other brown one is unnamed.
6. The black one has crowed, the other two haven't. My wife says I have to wait to give Smores a new home because she likes that little jerk because he's cute. But we're pretty sure based on wattles and combs that all three are gonna need to move on to the great KFC in the sky (or someone else's place) soon enough.

While I'd love to hang on to them I have crappy neighbors that I'm sure would love to sub a noise complaint and I'm not fighting that fight after I've spent a crap ton of hours building a chicken palace for the other birds in my back yard.

Last edited:

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Check with City, you should be allowed 1 rooster.

Our regs are 25 hens and 1 rooster.

Just a guess, but the black is a barred rock.

Butchering should be at 14 - 16 weeks old.

Rez Exelon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
76   0   0
CoT does allow roosters, but they're subject to noise ordinance. With the location of the coop in the yard, it'd be fairly close to the complaint-happy neighbors. Karen (the daughter, and I don't know her real name) already got lawyer'd up during a dispute on property line once when we planted some lazy squash in the easement we believed to be ours. (It turns out that the easement is split in reality).

Got her lawyer to accuse me of threatening her when she came on MY land yelling and screaming to open the conversation. That's the kind of people they are.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
CoT does allow roosters, but they're subject to noise ordinance. With the location of the coop in the yard, it'd be fairly close to the complaint-happy neighbors. Karen (the daughter, and I don't know her real name) already got lawyer'd up during a dispute on property line once when we planted some lazy squash in the easement we believed to be ours. (It turns out that the easement is split in reality).

Got her lawyer to accuse me of threatening her when she came on MY land yelling and screaming to open the conversation. That's the kind of people they are.
Being in the right, I would definitely be keeping a rooster.

thekidd76

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If it's legal I would be keeping it as well. As far as the noise goes you could try an anti-crow collar. No guarantees it works, and a lot of people will tell you it's cruel or will harm the rooster so there's that, but cheap way to test your neighbors limits.

Latest posts

Top Bottom