'Tis the season.....for thieven'

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know about that. We've used debit cards for years and have had very little trouble with being hacked. As much as anything, one needs a banking institution that really supports their customers. We've been banking with USAA now for about 3 years and have had great service from them. When we were in the OKC/Blanchard/Tuttle/Mustang area, MidFirst Bank worked well for us before we went "on the road."

The problem with debit cards is you are out any money if your card is compromised until your bank or credit union decides to give you your money back. Just like in the op's example, he is out money until the institution decides they will give him his money back.
I would never own a debit card with that outstanding liability.
Credit cards have zero liability and zero out of pocket if your card is compromised. I've had many credit cards compromised, one in excess of $10,000 and I had no out of pocket costs.

You are at the mercy of your bank or credit union with a debit card and you are dealing with cash (your personal cash!) and not credit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
From what I've read, I don't use the debit card for the gas pump but I do use a credit card for gas purchase as well as buying groceries. I also pay online autopay for ONG, OGE, cell phone and ugh...DirectTV. With using the credit card for all those payments to include hotels when traveling, I build up points good for airfare and other junk. .
Us too. Those free airmiles build up pretty quick, and we certainly take advantage of it.

kd5rjz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't know about that. We've used debit cards for years and have had very little trouble with being hacked. As much as anything, one needs a banking institution that really supports their customers. We've been banking with USAA now for about 3 years and have had great service from them. When we were in the OKC/Blanchard/Tuttle/Mustang area, MidFirst Bank worked well for us before we went "on the road."
I agree with this. Skimmer are easy to spot, and there are actually a few android apps to scan for the bluetooth variety.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This is what I was wondering, is not the extra hardware they attach to the pump obvious. Never ran into one but would think they would be pretty easy to spot?

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The problem with debit cards is you are out any money if your card is compromised until your bank or credit union decides to give you your money back. Just like in the op's example, he is out money until the institution decides they will give him his money back.
I would never own a debit card with that outstanding liability.
Credit cards have zero liability and zero out of pocket if your card is compromised. I've had many credit cards compromised, one in excess of $10,000 and I had no out of pocket costs.

You are at the mercy of your bank or credit union with a debit card and you are dealing with cash (your personal cash!) and not credit.
I dont know who told you all that horseshit but its not true.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I dont know who told you all that horseshit but its not true.

Really, ask the original poster or at least read what he wrote. What part do you think is not true? Has this happened to you? Or have you been drinking again?

The credit union has not returned 40% of what he "alleged" was taken.

Some good news. Part of it will be back in my account by tomorrow (if not tonight). Basically anything within 24 hours of when I reported it to them is an automatic refund. The rest will be held pending their investigation. This actually accounts for about 60% of was was taken.

Seems like it's not such a bad Credit Union so far. (I've been with them for many, many years, but this is my first experience with them for fraudulent charges)

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe different debt cards are different. Mine is backed by Visa. I bank though a good CU. I have had a $200 fraudulent charge one time and they money was back in 24 hours.

Catt57

Gill-Gun Guru
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have found that my CU is very cautious. The good part is it makes them very stable. It does mean that sometimes it takes them a little longer to process things and it's harder to get a loan with them, but in the long run it is an advantage over those that loan to anyone and are losing money and such. I'm confident they will come through, they have always taken care of me in the past.

Latest posts

Top Bottom