Titan Taken Out?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PanhandleGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
IMG_0551.jpeg

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm leaning more toward it being just a very poorly built submersible.

People keep saying the hull is made out of titanium and carbon fiber. First off, mixed medium for such a vessel is dubious at best. Carbon fibers have great tensile strength but I doubt it has any strength in any from of compression. It would just buckle. A person can test the principle easily with a piece of string. You can tug on it and it won't stretch, stays straight right up to the point of failure. Now take that same piece of string and try to simply stand it on end. Wont do, let alone trying to get it to support a load.

Then again there is the resin(epoxy) that holds all those carbon fibers together that no one mentions. Ain't much strength in that stuff.

So, yes, poorly built is likely the major contributing factor in the demise of the Titan. Given that, metaphorically all it would take when under pressure is an attack by a pissed off lobster or crab.

Woody

Letfreedomring

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
People keep saying the hull is made out of titanium and carbon fiber. First off, mixed medium for such a vessel is dubious at best. Carbon fibers have great tensile strength but I doubt it has any strength in any from of compression. It would just buckle. A person can test the principle easily with a piece of string. You can tug on it and it won't stretch, stays straight right up to the point of failure. Now take that same piece of string and try to simply stand it on end. Wont do, let alone trying to get it to support a load.

Then again there is the resin(epoxy) that holds all those carbon fibers together that no one mentions. Ain't much strength in that stuff.

So, yes, poorly built is likely the major contributing factor in the demise of the Titan. Given that, metaphorically all it would take when under pressure is an attack by a pissed off lobster or crab.

Woody
I would advise you not to step foot in a 787 dreamliner with those theories....

Latest posts

Top Bottom