Title 42. has anyone done one or have a service?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I recently bought an abandoned (been there for 2+ year) motorcycle from work with the agreement, that for the smoking price I bought it at the title 42 paperwork was my headache. I know the motorcycle has not been registered in Oklahoma per the tag office, the temporary paper tag that was on it is long gone as well. My boss believes that it came from Colorado, which tracking the VIN through the dealer network sites, looks to be correct. I have already sent the paperwork to OTC to search for titling jurisdiction outside of Oklahoma. My questions are:

1. Has anyone done their own title 42 and how does the fact that I am not a business affect things?

2. Does anyone have a reputable service that they recommend that I could pay to have them do the paperwork so I know it is correct?

3. Do you have to actually sell the vehicle or can you list yourself as the lien claimant and the buyer?

I have more question, but this should at least test the water.

Thank in advance.

65ny

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a Title 42 done a few years ago.... It looked like it was going to be a real pain in the ass, so I paid someone to do it. It turned out to be easier than I expected.
I'm not a business, and you don't have to sell the vehicle (you have to offer it for sale, but you set the price). You put a lien on it (storage, work done, whatever....) Registered letters have to be sent to the last known owner, a notice has to be published in the newspaper saying something like "any persons having interest in (fill in the blank) blah blah blah..... then if they want to pay for the amount of the lien, you sell it to them. Most of the time, the amount of the lien exceeds the value of the item, so that's no big deal.
I'm sure there's more to it, that's why I just hired someone to take care of it. If you google "title 42 services in Oklahoma" you'll probably find a few places willing to do it for you.

vicious

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm with 65ny. I had to get a title for my bike a couple of years ago and same deal. I paid a service to do it, I think it was $80. They handled everything else from the title search and sending the certified letter, to posting in the paper. Once done they sent me a packet to take to the tag agency. The tag agency had done a ton of them, so that part was easy. I had gone to them first, and they said they couldn't handle the first part so I found someone on craigslist. I used http://www.sandrafuller.com/, and can say that she was professional and took care of business in a timely manner.

ll05

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
My buddy filed for a title 42 on a Honda Civic he bought from a shop. The owner dropped the car off for service, never paid, and moved out of state. Apparently he didn't want to pay the storage fees that were attached to the car for sitting at the shop so long. He paid someone to do the paperwork, and eventually received the title. I don't think he paid more than $150 for the service.

Thanks,

LL

Double_tap

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies! I have been in contact with Sandra Fuller, I believe I am going to let her handle it since it is a out of state vehicle and from my research Colorado is a PITA to deal with on getting vehicle ownership information.

Latest posts

Top Bottom