TPD Investigation over Community Event

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FenixTxM3

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, could he refuse a call to render assistance to these people if a crime is committed?

He should NEVER be required to go to a religious event PERIOD unless they were there in an official capacity for security etc. However, not going to a community outreach is a little silly and sends a bad message that is easily interpreted as bigotry. Why not just go, eat a little hummus and cabbage rolls and then leave?

I agree with you, he shouldn't be required to go to a religious event, but this doesn't seem to be a religious event. It seems like the mosque sent an invitation to LEOs to an open house to show them their appreciation for their hard work and service. This thing seems like it is getting blown way out of proportion.

trickydick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a real shame that none of the higher-ups in the TPD has the balls to just say"we told all of our officers about it, If any officer wants to attend they may and nobody will be required to attend".

That captain shouln't have been transfered and I hope he sues the dept over this.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the fuss here. While I believe strict adherence to all the tenets of Islam is contradictory to democracy, we should all realize that there are Muslims in this country that love America and wouldn't do anything to harm it. They are part of the community and should be treated as such unless they prove otherwise.

I think it's wrong to compel attendance at such an event, but it should be encouraged as an opportunity to do community outreach. A good police officer will embrace the community they patrol, as the citizens are a good source of intel on criminal activity in the area. If you aren't willing to talk to the people on the street, you're not going to a very effective cop.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
[Broken External Image]

ai372.photobucket.com_albums_oo167_xxClutch151xx_eddie_popcorn.gif

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I guess I just don't see the fuss here. While I believe strict adherence to all the tenets of Islam is contradictory to democracy, we should all realize that there are Muslims in this country that love America and wouldn't do anything to harm it. They are part of the community and should be treated as such unless they prove otherwise.

I think it's wrong to compel attendance at such an event, but it should be encouraged as an opportunity to do community outreach. A good police officer will embrace the community they patrol, as the citizens are a good source of intel on criminal activity in the area. If you aren't willing to talk to the people on the street, you're not going to a very effective cop.

This expresses my feelings on this well.

Plus, it's free food. Just show up and eat the food.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's a real shame that none of the higher-ups in the TPD has the balls to just say"we told all of our officers about it, If any officer wants to attend they may and nobody will be required to attend".

That captain shouln't have been transfered and I hope he sues the dept over this.

Whaaaaaaaaat?????????? You are seriously suggesting he employ the services of a [GASP] evil lawyer???? :eek2:

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
However, not going to a community outreach is a little silly and sends a bad message that is easily interpreted as bigotry. Why not just go, eat a little hummus and cabbage rolls and then leave?

I think that if the invitation was to a place other than their place of worship, you'd be correct. Meet the people, not their religious beliefs.
A couple of years ago a friend's dad died. I went to the service even though it was not of my religion, but couldn't help noticing that the friend's wife was outside the church, waiting in the limo. Her religious beliefs would not allow her to enter, even though she loved and respected the deceased.
After the funeral we had lunch together and both I and the friend's wife had a good time talking to the priest.
I didn't agree with her behavior, I understood it.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I also believe that it would be a good community outreach for officers to be encouraged to attend, however I would think that it might even be against policy or law for the Capt. to REQUIRE officers to attend? Can anyone in the dept. comment on that?

Latest posts

Top Bottom