TPD Investigation over Community Event

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We are talking about religion. If my religion tells me that it is a sin to be around nonbelievers or sinners or whatever and I am really serious about my religion, there is no choice.

At some point, doesn't your responsibility to be a responsible civil servant (in this case, building good community relations) supersede whatever personal religious beliefs you have?

I'm really asking. I don't know the answer to this.

HVYCHVY

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Isn't that the same Mosque that expelled a member for being anti-muslim for condemming 9/11? MMMmmmm

It's not a good PR move not to show up, but it shouldn't be mandatory either.

Nraman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At some point, doesn't your responsibility to be a responsible civil servant (in this case, building good community relations) supersede whatever personal religious beliefs you have?

Yes, with the proper setting. The entire problem has to do with the religious setting. People that follow a certain religion are besides being followers of that religion, citizens. The outreach should have been separated from the religion and if that is not possible as in this case it is not when the group is defined by their religion, it should have been voluntary.
If my company ordered me to come to your church or other place you worship or if you are an atheist you don't, I would refuse unless I had written permission that I am allowed to give you a piece of my mind also without getting fired. I will not stand to be cornered by your holly man unable to respond and tell you how such and such belief of yours is full of it. No person should be forced in that position.

poopgiggle

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I will not stand to be cornered by your holly man unable to respond and tell you how such and such belief of yours is full of it. No person should be forced in that position.

Dude it's Oklahoma. Non-Christians have to do this ALL THE TIME.

I'm not sure how you can be a good cop if you don't have the restraint to smile and nod for 15 minutes.

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

I completely disagree that it supersedes your religous beliefs.

Fortunately my religion tells me that I should render to Caesar what is Caesar's.

My attendence will have nothing to do with their religion.

My religion tells me to uphold my vows, one of which was to obey the lawful orders of my superior officers.

A cursory examination of history should show that among western religions, there should be no conflict for a warrior.

Michael Brown

perfor8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Webster must like to hear himself type as much as he likes to hear himself talk. His 3-page opus of a response managed to examine every issue except the one that will be the cornerstone of Field's case, the religious activities scheduled for the event.

Community outreach events don't typically include the phrase "congregational prayer service" in the flyer.

I predict that phrase will be key in the forthcoming legal battle.

Wolfer69

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I thought we were short police officers?

There were barely enough to defend the streets.

We should raise taxes so we could have academies, and hire, and give raises, ad nauseum.

And now miraculously, we have enough to go to luncheons.

Cool. Problem solved.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard this this morning. I know the leadership (Captain? if I heard right) refused to order his officers to attend, but I would think there would be a couple who would have been fine going on a volunteer basis. Or perhaps no one had an opportunity to volunteer before the leadership got called out?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If they will be serving pork. I'll be there.

So Is this what Tulsa PD has been reduced to. Can't respond to nonpriority calls but sure as hell better attend an event at a Religious establishment.

:sorry1:
I believe this ended some time ago. Most of the laid off officers were recalled, and a new academy is even in place.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If my religion tells me that it is a sin to be around nonbelievers or sinners or whatever and I am really serious about my religion, there is no choice.

I think this condition would peclude one from being an officer, no?

The officer should not be put in to the position where he has to listen to somebody else's dogma and just eat it.

Mr. Brown can correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this was all in a day's work for the TPD?

And I mean that with the utmost :respect: !

Latest posts

Top Bottom