US Army testing new chambering?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
These are the new rounds. The cylinders to the left of the cartridges are the new type of ammo. Davek is correct, they are not 6.8 SPC.

THough I think 6.8 is a misprint that has been latched onto. Last I heard from buddies on this project said the chosen caliber was 6.5mm, and not 6.8. That was 6 months ago so that could actually be 6.8mm.

They were last looking at 6.5 Creedmore and may have chosen the bullets for the new cartridge which are actually 6.72mm.

upload_2018-12-11_12-16-29.jpeg

This is the new rifle/carbine for that ammo

IMG_0249-660x370.jpg

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It not caseless and polymer cases my prove cheaper than reloading brass.
Perhaps I should have said "brassless" then ... but IIRC, they were called "caseless" when the idea first appeared a while back. But maybe not.

I wonder how it holds the bullet in place when chambering, and whether that support system would be reusable? :anyone:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps I should have said "brassless" then ... but IIRC, they were called "caseless" when the idea first appeared a while back. But maybe not.

I wonder how it holds the bullet in place when chambering, and whether that support system would be reusable? :anyone:
Caseless is when there is nothing to eject. The "Case" is burned up with the powder. The telescoping cases, eject from the rifle just like a brass case.

The chamber is not actually part of the barrel on the MG and Rifle. There's a video that shows how it works. I will see if I can find it

Latest posts

Top Bottom