Victim Opted to Be Disarmed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe in Texas you could carry in your car without a license (even before there were licenses). Something about it being an extension of your home and affording you the same protections there, including right to defend it.

So she could keep a gun in her car, but not take it out of the car other than to/from home.

This is a messy paraphrasing but I think it’s the gist of it.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This ^^ is my understanding as well of Texas law, still today. I believe non-residents can even have a loaded firearm in their car as well, but only carried to or from the car and home, or a shooting range.

Which has apparently lead some people caught with concealed weapons explaining that they were on the way to their car. :)

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This ^^ is my understanding as well of Texas law, still today. I believe non-residents can even have a loaded firearm in their car as well, but only carried to or from the car and home, or a shooting range.

Which has apparently lead some people caught with concealed weapons explaining that they were on the way to their car. :)

Checked some varied sources, both a center to prevent gun violence and a criminal defense attorney. Despite being likely opposite sides of the political spectrum, they both confirm.

https://www.davidbreston.com/can-you-have-a-loaded-gun-in-your-car-in-texas/

One common question among gun owners and potential gun buyers in Texas is whether or not it is legal to carry a loaded gun in a vehicle. The short answer is yes, it is legal to keep a firearm loaded and within reach of the driver in a vehicle under the Motorist Protection Act. Drivers must conceal handguns, but long guns like rifles and shotguns do not require concealment.

https://lawcenter.giffords.org/guns-in-vehicles-in-texas/

Texas does not require a person to have a valid handgun license in order to carry a loaded handgun in a motor vehicle or watercraft if the vehicle is owned by the person or under the person’s control. However, Texas generally prohibits intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carrying a handgun in plain view in a motor vehicle or watercraft, except by handgun license holders carrying the handgun in a shoulder or belt holster

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Prior to November 1, if one doesn't have a concealed carry permit in Oklahoma, one can get cited for "transporting a loaded firearm" if they have a loaded one in their car. Unless things have changed in the last 5 years, one even had to keep the ammunition away from the location of the firearm and secured.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Actually, there were no signs to ignore. Texas did not have CCW when the massacre happened.
There were no signs, but state law against concealed carry was still in effect that she couldn't carry a gun concealed. Just like Oklahoma in that era.

Hupp and her parents were having lunch at the Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen in 1991 when a mass shooting took place. The gunman, George Hennard, shot 44 people in all, killing 24 of them, including himself. The fatally wounded included both of Hupp's parents. Hupp later expressed regret about deciding to remove her gun from her purse and lock it in her car, lest she risk possibly running afoul of the state's concealed weapons laws; during the shootings, she reached for her weapon but then remembered that it was "a hundred feet [30 m] away in my car."[6] Her father, Al Gratia, feeling he "needed to do something", tried to rush the gunman and was fatally shot in the chest instead. Hupp, eventually seeing an escape through a broken window (broken by the shoulder of another fleeing victim), grabbed her mother by the shirt telling her "Come on, we have to go now!" As Hupp moved toward the only escape, she believed her mother to be following her, only to find out later that Ursula had also been killed.

Hupp was 32 years old at the time of the shooting.[5] As a survivor of the incident, Hupp testified across the country in support of concealed-handgun laws, citing that if there had been a second chance to prevent the slaughter, she would have violated the Texas law and carried the handgun inside her purse into the restaurant that day and it being highly likely she would also still have her parents with her today. She also stated in her testimony that she would have taken the felony on her head over having lost her parents through the tragedy, adding that those shouldn't be the choices, however, and that people should be able to defend themselves in a true emergency without having to choose one over another.[7]She testified across the country in support of concealed handgun laws, and was elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1996.[8] The concealed-weapons bill was signed by then-Governor George W. Bush.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzanna_Hupp

Dale00

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Schumer's flippant disrespect for Dr. Hupp while she was testifiying to his committee shows him for who he is. Self defense: a basic human right. The statists are sorely wrong if not something worse than that.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Even if they had and Luby's had properly posted signs, it would be a crime to carry inside. Texas' "30.06 law" is far more onerous than ours is in Oklahoma.
Exactly. I always see comments by people talking about how great texas’ gun laws are. I think they aren’t that great. They criminalize law abiding citizens if they carry past a stupid no guns sign. I remember going on vacation down there a few years ago and I was so nervous because I didn’t want to make a mistake and it cost me. I don’t like leaving Oklahoma and if I don’t have to I won’t ever again. They say everything is bigger in Texas I guess that also includes gun restrictions. I’ve always said, Texas
Sucks!! And I mean it. Boomer Sooner!

Latest posts

Top Bottom