1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

Victim Opted to Be Disarmed

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Dale00, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Dale00

Dale00 Sharpshooter

Food for thought...not advocating anything here but this is thought provoking. The right to self-defense is vital - wake-up law makers, wake-up citizens.

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/...cle_3843db5c-8b9e-11e9-b87f-e3e87b2a3b42.html

2. dlmcm

dlmcm Retired & Enjoying Life!

Supporter
    Rating
    100%
    Women's intuition?

3. John6185

John6185 Sharpshooter

Better to be judged by twelve rather than carried by six...

4. yukonjack

yukonjack Sharpshooter

It's a real thing. Applies equally to men and women. In studies over 90% of the time your first impressions, gut instincts or intuition about people or situations are correct. Never ignore or dismiss those feelings.

Two good books on the subject are "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell
    and "Gut Feelings" by Gerd Gigerenzer.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink:_The_Power_of_Thinking_Without_Thinking

https://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/books/298863/gut-feelings-by-gerd-gigerenzer/9780143113768/

Why is split second decision-making superior to deliberation? Gut Feelings delivers the science behind Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink.

"Reflection and reason are overrated, according to renowned psychologist Gerd Gigerenzer. Much better qualified to help us make decisions is the cognitive, emotional, and social repertoire we call intuition, a suite of gut feelings that have evolved over the millennia specifically for making decisions. Gladwell drew heavily on Gigerenzer’s research. But Gigerenzer goes a step further by explaining just why our gut instincts are so often right. Intuition, it seems, is not some sort of mystical chemical reaction but a neurologically based behavior that evolved to ensure that we humans respond quickly when faced with a dilemma (BusinessWeek)."

5. dennishoddy

dennishoddy Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Even though my past employer before retiring didn't allow firearms in the workplace, I carried a P3-AT in .380 every day in pocket carry. My FR jeans even faded to the outline of the holster, but nobody ever noticed.
    Yeah, there was a chance of getting fired, but there was also a chance of some idiot going nuts.
    I was joking with one of the gate guards one time and asked him what he was going to do with that 9mm on his hip when the terrorist come to take over the place with AK's or AR's.
    Said he was getting to the employee parking lot where the real firepower was located to take a stand. There were some pretty serious gun guys that worked there.

6. Snattlerake

Snattlerake Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    So the woman was killed by a man she feared and possibly only died because she obeyed the law and the perp didn't?

I thought the SO and the PD were putting out statements the shooter had no motive, gave no signs of being disturbed or angry at co-workers.

7. TonyKane1

TonyKane1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Reminds me of the Luby’s incident in Texas. The lady was disarmed because of Texas’ ridiculous laws and her parents ended up being killed my a gunman that ignored that no guns sign. Sickening.

8. bigred1

bigred1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I had forgotten all about that tragedy. Those dang signs get a lot of good people killed. When are these politicians going to wise up!!

dennishoddy likes this.
  9. gerhard1

gerhard1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Actually, there were no signs to ignore. Texas did not have CCW when the massacre happened.

10. TonyKane1

TonyKane1 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    I thought there were but you are right. They didn’t have CCW at the time.