Walmart Receipt Checking Lawsuits Thrown Out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I typically react the same way to the receipt checkers everywhere, and its the same as my reaction to the cable/cellphone/cutco knives people you see in stores: regardless of the question or prompt, I continue walking, look them straight in the eye, and say "no" politely, but very firmly. I've always been left alone immediately after doing so. It works with "Hey buddy what cell phone provider do you use?", "Do you like getting free things/travel/food?", "how much do you pay for cable?", and even "Sir, I need to see your receipt".

If you are struggling with shrinkage after reducing your cashiers down to a skeleton crew, force customers to check themselves out, and investing over half a billion dollars into anti shoplifting technology, then that is your fault, and I'm not gonna continue to pander to your corporate brow beating in the name of profits.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In Edmond they really only check if you have something big not bagged in your cart. If that is the case for me I make it easy and make sure I have the receipt in my hand. I bit of a pain in the ass, but then they didn't make the policy and their job is ****** enough.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I shop WalMart all the time. Guess I’m hardened.
Haven’t set foot in Target in over 13 years.
Think I’ll run by WM in a little while.

rlongnt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Shakedown"? As a one-time small business owner I would never begrudge a business for trying to cut their losses due to theft, even if it meant checking to make sure all that stuff going out the door had actually been paid for. And I certainly would not take my frustrations out on the old Senior guy standing on his feet half the day (and risking injury from disgruntled customers) just trying to add a few extra bucks to his retirement pay.
At no point did I say anything about taking anything out on some poor old man. I said you can say no. Their policy is that that's where it ends. People think the word no is rude. It's not it's a boundary. I avoid Walmart at all costs. Crest in Edmond has never asked me for my receipt and simply thanks me "every time" as I walk out the door. I vote with my dollars.

Getintouch98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get asked for a receipt often, its when a item or items are not bagged. Thats the policy.

I am also almost 60 and white. The people asking to see my receipt are white as well.

Its not a racial issue.
First of all a true policy is something that is mandated across the board. Costco receipt checking is a policy. I have been to many Walmart locations last who don’t even have a person at the door or people who don’t even care to check.

Costco has a true policy. If you do not show them your receipt on the way out the door they will find out who you are and revoke your membership. You sign this policy and agree to abide by it when you join their membership. Walmart has no such membership.

As far as your personal experience, no one can speak to that. Every personal experience is different. However, being black myself, I have been asked for receipts when I have seen over a dozen non-blacks walk through the exit with no question. I am the first to say that the black community has an issue with criminality. However, if you were going to an institute a “policy” in 2023, you had better make sure it is a firm, fair and consistent.

I have no problem with showing my receipt at Costco or Sam’s Club when I exit because I have chosen to be a member and I know that every single person is checked. No matter what you may believe or have personally experienced in your limited view, Walmart does, and will always discriminate. Wether justified or not. I would rather them make a true policy and check every single receipt on the way out, than choose who they believe should be checked.

Latest posts

Top Bottom