Walmart Returning Guns To Its Shelves

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cscokd

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ok, I know there are various opinions about Walmart, but I think it's a good sign that they are returning to their roots; expanding their fishing selections and bringing guns back to roughly half of their 3,600 supercenters, from around 1,000 today.

http://www.fastcompany.com/1750239/guns-soon-to-be-available-in-a-walmart-near-you

It's possible to subsist almost entirely on items found in Walmart (you can even buy tents if you don't have a home), but there's one product found in a quarter of all American households that most Walmarts don't stock: guns. Until now. Walmart is returning the gun counter to a big chunk of its stores. Why does the same store that sells baby clothes and books like Organic Gardening for the 21st Century think its customers will want rifles, shotguns, and ammunition? Because Americans love guns. And Walmart thinks they can sell them to us.

Once upon a time, the majority of Walmart stores carried guns; it was a classic point in the litany of liberal complaints against the company. But in 2006, Walmart pulled firearms from all but a third of its stores as the result of "diminished customer relevancy and demand" in certain locations, according to former Walmart spokeswoman Jolanda Stewart.

Walmart spokesman Lorenzo Lopez tells us that the firearms were removed from store shelves for a variety of reasons, but that he doesn't "necessarily have insight into why. We've obviously realized over time that the appeal may be a little bit broader than what we thought." While the move probably wasn't related to the company's push to focus on energy conservation and generally confusing its old critics, it certainly helped add to Walmart's growing acceptance among the coastal set.

But now, apparently, the retailer has realized the folly of that move--people want guns all over the place. Walmart announced this week that it is bringing firearms back to hundreds of stores, meaning almost half of the retailer's 3,600 locations will sell shotguns and rifles. These will be both in rural stores, but also in slightly more urban locations like Albuquerque, N.M., and Jacksonville, Fla., according to The Wall Street Journal.

The move is part of Walmart's attempt to sell more in the so-called "heritage categories"--things like bolts of sewing fabric, fishing rods, and all those other down-home-on-the-farm products beloved by our forebears, who didn't have the option of shopping at retail superstores. Their inclusion on Walmart's shelves make the retailer more of a one-stop shop than it already is, says Lopez. "Part of the reason why we're adding back to some locations is because we're working to deliver the broadest and most relevant assortment possible at the lowest price to our customers," he says. "We know they've depended on Walmart for many years for hunting, fishing, and sporting goods of all kinds."

The retailer is already the biggest firearm and ammunition vendor in the country. Having more gun-stocked Walmarts probably won't influence local violence, though it may put some mom and pop gun stores out of business (that liberal complaint is still valid!). And hey, there's an upside: In the event that we descend into some sort of survivalist fever dream, you'll know exactly where to find a shotgun.​

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The walmart in norman by the highway has guns, they only sell about 7 types of rifles and 7 types of shotguns. I almost pulled the trigger on the Remy they had there. Im not sure of the legality of them selling pistols but if they could I would love to see the deals they could get.

Last edited:

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think Walmart would be wise to have more firearm sales locations.

You can get a Marlin 336 at a Walmart near me. I want to buy it sooo bad but I just can't right now. Everyone needs a lever gun.

Last edited:

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The walmart in norman by the highway has guns, they only sell about 7 types of rifles and 7 types of shotguns. I almost pulled the trigger on the Remy they had their. Im not sure of the legality of them selling pistols but if they could I would love to see the deals they could get.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far away... WalMart may have even sold pistols...

Lurkerinthewoods

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Supporter
Reaction score
I can't remember a time when the 71st BA store or the store in Owasso didn't sell rifles and shotguns.

IIRC when I worked at Walmart in the late 80's while in high school I remember Walmart selling handguns.

JesseR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The South BA store is stocked back up. A few youth options in both rifle and pistol, Some Mossy shotguns and a few marlin rifles. It's a start. I haven't asked about special order...

Walmart sold pistols until the mid-90's until the hand gun waiting period went in to effect. At that time, they discontinued handgun sales because once it's sold they want it out of the store. It was a great time when I graduated from High School and went down to Walmart and bought my S&W 422 and Ruger 10/22.

I don't see Walmart carrying handguns again, but I think if we all went down twice a year and bought a gun from the Oklahoma Walmarts, we'd see their inventory grow quickly!

I'm happy to do my part to get Walmart to our way of thinking!

Jesse

beast1989

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow even though I dont like supporting walmart I am salivating at the thought of walmart priced handguns. Our inventories would be growing extremely quickly. They would probably get a small collection of safes to accommodate us gun junkies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom