Walther CCP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm surprised this gun hasn't gained more attention or appreciation.

I'm having trouble finding any good reviews or impressions online, but it seems really really promising. And the price is right for around $375.

A delayed blowback in a carry piece seems like a "best of both worlds", and it was what the hk p7 worked with, which most experts agree was the epitome of a carry pistol. So why don't more people seem to be interested?

Anyone shot one of have one? Was the recoil stronger than they would like, or does the delayed blowback mitigate it enough?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I looked at these and started reading too many horror stories on Walther forums. Head on over there and check out the CCP forum. Seems they might have the bugs worked out on the later models though?

Badger308

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's disappointing. I'd still like to get my hands on one to see for myself.

I shot one last weekend, right next to the ruger lcr .38, the Taurus the .380 and then the walther Ccp. None of them are what I would call fun to shoot. I wasn't able to compare it side by side to another small frame 9mm to see if the blow back lessened the recoil, but I didn't think "wow this thing doesn't have much recoil" after all it is a small 9mm designed for concealed carry. My only knock personally is that it's just not that much smaller than the Ppq and it's not that much lighter, I'm getting the Ppq.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A delayed blowback in a carry piece seems like a "best of both worlds", and it was what the hk p7 worked with, which most experts agree was the epitome of a carry pistol.
The P7 is, indeed, one of the very finest carry pistols ever made. The Walther CCP, much as I would like to like it, is a sub-standard copy at very best. As GMT mentioned, you should check the Walther forums. One I looked at just the other night had a 28 page thread AND a 86 page thread, all about the many problems plaguing the CCP. Early ones were especially bad; later ones are still hit-or-miss. I certainly would not buy one of those until I had looked at those "CCP problems" threads on the Walther forum.

Redsnake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've handled the CCP but never actually fired one. It felt superb in my hand and I think it has a LOT of promise... but it's appeared to fail on delivery of that promise. I have and LOVE my H&K P7 PSP... I hope to never be forced to sell it. It's such a classic and fun to shoot. It was even my CCW pistol for a while but they're just getting too expensive to replace (if you can find one) and in the event I ever had to shoot and defend myself I couldn't come to grips w/that P7 sitting in Police evidence for a long time AND perhaps me never getting it back.

The other negative I see and what stopped me from buying the CCP was the dis-assembly ... you have to have a small 'tool' and it's just not that user-friendly a job. The P7 is SIMPLE to take apart and clean... not sure why Walther couldn't have copied the P7 a bit better... :)

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, they are large for what they are. Give me a Glock 43, Shield, Kahr or Walther PPS.

1911master has spoken wisely. In addition, GMT has suggested www.waltherforums.com which is also a wise bit of advice. Walther already has a nice CCW pistol; the PPS. So why the CCP? The answer is beyond my limited grasp. Imma go strap on my G43 and go about my day now.

saddlebum

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1911master has spoken wisely. In addition, GMT has suggested www.waltherforums.com which is also a wise bit of advice. Walther already has a nice CCW pistol; the PPS. So why the CCP? The answer is beyond my limited grasp. Imma go strap on my G43 and go about my day now.

Walther also has introduced the pps gen 2, with a mag release button rather than the paddle style and some styling changes. I'll be looking to try it

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So why the CCP? The answer is beyond my limited grasp.QUOTE]

The gas-delayed blowback operation means no locking lugs/blocks on the slide/barrel, which allows for a lighter, slimmer slide. A lighter, slimmer slide allows for a lighter recoil spring, which, in turn, means that racking the slide is easier for people with limited or compromised hand strength. The gas delayed blowback operation also means that the recoil impulse is softer than in some other pistols. The gas delayed blowback manner of operation has been thoroughly proven in the HK P7 series of pistols, easily one of the very finest concealed carry pistols ever made. The CCP uses the P7's GDB manner of operation, but it is nowhere near the quality of the HK. The ideas behind the CCP were sound and well-proven, but the execution is not.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom