Wanting to do a raised bed...maybe

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bhargrin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use raised beds along with conventional gardening. My soil is heavy in clay content I have to add a truck load of sand every couple of years. I also mulch heavy to increase the PH to a slight acid since the clay is high alkali. I love raised beds it allows for better drainage for delicate plants like lavender.

For my raised beds I try to stay local for material, the state farm land is slowly being over run with red cedar many farmers look at it as a fungus. there are several groups trying to harvest the trees into usable lumber. one mill that comes to mind is "singing wire cedar" I like their rough cut lumber for my raised beds. My neighbor used the same lumber and has functioning beds that are 6 years old and holding strong.

One friend had access to PVC pipe and made a box frame draped plastic inside, punched holes in the bottom for drainage. Another friend used construction silt screen to create a raised border and filled the inside with top soil leaving the bottom open.

One method I am looking into is using a large plastic drum, cutting a series of holes around side to allow plants to grow through.

For me I look at the different methods to save my back. what ever material you use just be careful on what chemicals the media has been exposed to, so you don't introduce unwanted chemicals in your food crops.

This is just the methods I have seen or used. I am always on the look out for material I can repurpose for the garden.

Latest posts

Top Bottom