Wanting to re-barrel a rifle so I will enjoy shooting it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LA Caliber Swap

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Med Palma is what I have been lookin at. About 750" at the muzzle. I have ordered stuff from E. Author Brown before and have been pleased with it. Has anyone ever tried one of their barrels.

I have read you cannot over stabilize but if you run a small bullet fast enough you can sling the jacket off of it with the faster twist.

I am still not sure what length to go with. I do not want over 24" but I do not know if I am hurting myself that bad by doing so.

What specs you have for your 260?

Johnny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Med Palma is what I have been lookin at. About 750" at the muzzle. I have ordered stuff from E. Author Brown before and have been pleased with it. Has anyone ever tried one of their barrels.

I have read you cannot over stabilize but if you run a small bullet fast enough you can sling the jacket off of it with the faster twist.

I am still not sure what length to go with. I do not want over 24" but I do not know if I am hurting myself that bad by doing so.

What specs you have for your 260?

Anyone have any input on barrel length or brand?

MoBoost

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anyone have any input on barrel length or brand?

Most of the time it's a matter of availability unless you are willing to wait for a while.

You can call Northland Shooter Supply and see what he has in stock for "drop-fit" : http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

If you are willing to wait, just get a blank of your liking and have it chambered as you wish by your gunsmith (I've had very good luck with Steve @ Mechanical Accuracy).
Quality maker WILL make a quility barrel: http://www.6mmbr.com/barrels.html
As a matter of fact, if you shop around you can find high-end take off from Remington and have it recut and rechambered for Savage. I've done it before. Most of the wear on the barrel is in the throat area - so when you cut it and rechamber it - you basically get brand new throat with "seasoned" bore. As long as it hasn't been damaged by cleaning - it will shoot superb.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I see that two others recommended the .338-06. For going in harm's way, from mean hogs up to big bears, it shoots close to a .338 Win Mag with a whole lot less recoil. Brass is simple to make. Just fireform 30-06 cases. I open the mouth of a 30-06 case, load a .338 bullet, and shoot it at paper. Fireformed cases are the product. This is actually a commercial load. Weatherby once built a rifle in this chambering, but the ammo is expensive. Reloading is quite easy.

Ballistics are a bit better than the .35 Whelen, and more bullet variety can be had in .338. I don't like to go over 250 grains with this caliber.

Lots of folks "Ackleyize" this round to get more case volume and to extend case life. The 40 degree shoulder pretty much eliminates case stretch.

This caliber used to be popular in the Alaska panhandle, where you might be killing little deer, but have to defend yourself against a large bear.

I have a Savage 110, old style, that has an excellent trigger and is tack driving accurate. Ugly gun, spray painted camo on a fiberglass stock. The forward part of the stock does not touch the barrel. My barrel is heavier than the standard barrel. Every time I think about upgrading the stock, I look at the one hole groups it makes at a hundred yards and decide to leave it alone.

All you'll probably need is a Savage barrel wrench and a "go" gague. You may need a vise if the barrel is really stuck. There is a site dedicated to Savages: http://www.savageshooters.com/forum.php

There is a lot of info and a lot of helpful people there.

Latest posts

Top Bottom