Warping magazines on a Springfield XD 45 Compact?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheRulingFool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I went shooting yesterday for quite a while. Over the course of the shoot, one of the magazines got progressively harder to load into the weapon. Upon inspection, the rear part of the magazine, JUST below the lips, had begun to bulge outward. Looking inside the mag well, it was scraping against the polymer on the inside of the rear of the mag well.

Has anyone experienced this with one of these guns, or something similar? Do I have faulty magazines? Would Springfield Armory replace them? Because yesterday were the first rounds that I've fired out of those magazines. It seems odd that they'd warp and/or bulge after a few hundred rounds.

Saur

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, I moved away from the XD45 because of the magazine issues which happened in both my Service and Compact models. I also moved away from the .45acp after I grew more comfortable with DocGKR's terminal ballistics information.

It would get to the point to where the mags were no longer drop free, and I would have to strip the mag out for every reload. The possibility of having a malfunction or reload being further complicated by a magazine that hangs up inside the magwell wasn't attractive to me. Otherwise the pistol itself functioned fine!

Now my experiences were with what I assume were older mags - the ones without the SA stamp on the front near the baseplate. I haven't put the new mags through a real test run. Some pics to show the difference between a non-dropfree mag w/ the bent back (behind the feedlips) vs. a new mag w/ the SA insignia: ( iphone quality :( )

EDIT: Also I read on xdtalk awhile back that some people did manage to have their mags replaced by SA. Others would bend them back only to have them get bent again.

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y119_Saurcastic_xd45mags.jpg

ai4.photobucket.com_albums_y119_Saurcastic_xd45mags2.jpg

hunter966

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have not had that problem but what bugs me about my mags is that if you load either mag to full capacity (ten or thirteen) then the rounds rattle inside of the mag.

I sent them to Springfield, they replaced them and the new ones rattle as well. Springfield did tell me that this is common, but still it bugs me.

hunter966

Latest posts

Top Bottom