Watches on the way to a wrist near you

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okierider

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
Here's how I see it.

I wear a $140.00 quartz Citizen that keeps good time and mama wears a 12k Rolex that also keeps good time.....I have a watch and she has a piece of jewelry.
MMMHHHMMM mama wears wiggle room against couch time LOL. :cool: I have a Citizen solar that keeps great time and a couple of windup/ automatics that are in the drawer waiting on a good cleaning.

Last edited:

kingfish

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Knowing nothing about watches other than how to use them, is this normal to have to adjust the time occasionally? I recently saw a video clip about a celebrity that was given a Rolex who took it to the shop because it got off a few minutes every few months and was told that's what they do. Guess I assumed for several G's they would be set and forget.
I am somewhat OCD when it comes to keeping accurate time. Every clock I have in my house is what is commonly referred to as an "atomic clock". They are in reality just clocks that have a radio receiver built into them which receive the WWV time signal broadcasts and sync themselves each night. There are watch manufacturers that have incorporated this technology into watches so they are pretty much set and forget. I have one watch that syncs its time from GPS satellites so it is said to be accurate to within 1/100 second. Even if not synced for a month (kept indoors where it can't receive the satellite signal) it is accurate to within 1 second. So you can get very accurate wrist watches without huge price tags.

busterheiney

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've got a $25 Casio that works fine for my purposes. I get this chat is less about function and more about aesthetics. When I'm feeling fancy I'll put the smart watch on and change the face to something that looks expensive. It stays on the charger 99% of the time, though. 😁

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
MMMHHHMMM mama wears wiggle room against coach time LOL. :cool: I have a Citizen solar that keeps great time and a couple of windup/ automatics that are in the drawer waiting on a good cleaning.

I would be open to taking that challenge. I have a Rolex that I recently brought in for service, set it to the atomic clock and after 3 days it was still keeping exact time with the atomic clock. Not trying to brag on it, just saying mechanical timepieces do have the potential for great precision. One thing to remember is most quartz watches are not certified chronometers. There are two major third party certifications, COSC and METAS.

COSC: Cosc - Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres | COSC

METAS: Homepage and What Is METAS Master Chronometer Certification?

Both show that watches will be accurate under a variety of Circumstances and Environments. Is it a big deal? You will pay a premium to get a watch that has met either certification. Does this mean a Citizen or Seiko is garbage or inaccurate? No. They just haven't applied. Personally I am a Fan of METAS Certification, since a watch must show accuracy is not affected after being exposed to a 15,000 Gauss Magnetic field. Only two manufacturers I am aware of meet this with their watches, Omega (most models) and Tudor (Some Black Bay's.) Examples of COSC are some Ball, some Tissot most Tudor, Some Longines, some Breitling, all modern Rolex.

Not certified? your really depending on company supplied numbers.

So, one can really dig into watches and discuss specifications, one can be a snob about it. I think @thor447 offered good advice. Looking for something that keeps good time? Get a quartz battery, solar quartz, or mecha quartz or spring drive. Want some extra guarantees and do not mind paying a lot, go Certified. In general most quartz are not certified, but due to the Mechanism are far more accurate than certified. Citizen actually had one movement that boasted 1 second per year precision Citizen Caliber 0100 World's Most Accurate Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would be open to taking that challenge. I have a Rolex that I recently brought in for service, set it to the atomic clock and after 3 days it was still keeping exact time with the atomic clock. Not trying to brag on it, just saying mechanical timepieces do have the potential for great precision. One thing to remember is most quartz watches are not certified chronometers. There are two major third party certifications, COSC and METAS.

COSC: Cosc - Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres | COSC

METAS: Homepage and What Is METAS Master Chronometer Certification?

Both show that watches will be accurate under a variety of Circumstances and Environments. Is it a big deal? You will pay a premium to get a watch that has met either certification. Does this mean a Citizen or Seiko is garbage or inaccurate? No. They just haven't applied. Personally I am a Fan of METAS Certification, since a watch must show accuracy is not affected after being exposed to a 15,000 Gauss Magnetic field. Only two manufacturers I am aware of meet this with their watches, Omega (most models) and Tudor (Some Black Bay's.) Examples of COSC are some Ball, some Tissot most Tudor, Some Longines, some Breitling, all modern Rolex.

Not certified? your really depending on company supplied numbers.

So, one can really dig into watches and discuss specifications, one can be a snob about it. I think @thor447 offered good advice. Looking for something that keeps good time? Get a quartz battery, solar quartz, or mecha quartz or spring drive. Want some extra guarantees and do not mind paying a lot, go Certified. In general most quartz are not certified, but due to the Mechanism are far more accurate than certified. Citizen actually had one movement that boasted 1 second per year precision Citizen Caliber 0100 World's Most Accurate Watch Review | aBlogtoWatch.

Currently I am wearing a METAS Certified Seamaster 300M Omega since last Saturday, set at 8:30 AM CST, it is only 2 seconds Fast as of Today at 11:15 AM CST.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
3E20CACC-88FC-4E9E-B372-32796AF1EF83.png

okcBob

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score