Water Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm focusing my watering efforts on my foundation and trees. Loss or damage there will effect property values. I could care less what the grass looks like. As for water itself, the population will continue to grow. People will continue to waste water. We'll eventually be so restricted on water that people will go to jail for wasting it and there will be wars fought over it. The only way to stop people from wasting is is to skyrocket the price of it. When it hurts their pocket books, they'll reconsider. :(

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't watered at all other than finally letting my trees have a drink the other night. We have at least 6 more weeks of these Hell-like temps and if we don't get some rain soon I suspect we're all going to be on water rationing.

OKC metro is now on water rationing. I think I talked the fiancé into just water the trees and foundation instead of the yard for now. This red clay sucks for growing grass. I wouldn't be surprised to see other areas doing the same soon.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
ya, my 5k and $600 plus a year lawn sure looks like burnt crap.... but the car washes, park fountains, and all my neighbors are still watering. So, whats a guy to do?

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
..maybe Ignorance?
They have them set on Automatic and they run until they are running down the street......they dont know or care?

Yup, ignorance. There is one house in my 'hood...overgrown planters, weed choked lawn...poorly maintained. But by god those sprinklers come on every afternoon at 4pm to water the weeds!

The bermuda will come back, but like GTG said, I put a little on the foundation and trees....

ArGyLe64

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Travis, I want you to know I water my lawn every other day and I don't water the street. My lawn is nice and green but I'm not a problem for you. I'm in OKC and not Enid so my consumption doesn't affect you. Love ya bro!

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I live in the country where we all depend on our water wells for potable water. Without those wells our houses are worthless.

Got some new neighbors last Spring. Moved here from San Antonio.
They moved into the standard 1.5 acre lot in this development and planted thousands of dollars worth of shrubs, trees, and a large garden.
With the drought we had last year they were getting up at 3am to start watering and it didn't end until around 11am in the morning, every day nearly.

I thought it might get better this year since their shrubs and grass were established now but NO, that woman's job is literally to water the better part of 1.5 acres every day, nearly all day.
It seems they think "the water is free" and pump it freely.

You know what the kicker is? She thinks she is "self-sufficient" and living in "harmony with nature" because of her garden. :hithead:

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry about you well problem. Just had some work done on mine too. I have been watering the trees that surround the house as they shade the house and help with the electric bill. I'm not sure why the west side of Coweta doesn't ever get rain but it seems we miss it all the time by a mile or two. Same thing last summer. And as a result of the drought last summer we had 127 dead trees cut off of our place this spring. Most of them oak and none of them smaller than 8" diameter...some 2' and more in diameter. It does not help that the land we live on is incredibly sandy. It hardly holds any moisture. :scream:

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
KRMG had a story about Tulsa's top 10 private highest water users. There were quite a few people that used over a million gallons of water in July.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
sol.torluemke said:
KRMG had a story about the top 10 private highest water users. There were quite a few people that used over a million gallons of water in July.

I was surprised at that article. They listed the person's name and the address of the biggest water users!! I agree that the water use is high but thought it an invasion of their privacy.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was surprised at that article. They listed the person's name and the address of the biggest water users!! I agree that the water use is high but thought it an invasion of their privacy.

Yeah, I think they removed the story. I thought it was interesting that most of those people used as much water in July as they used between Jan and June of this year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom