Water Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So last night my wife texts me and says that the well pump stopped working, now our well is only for watering our lawn or running the outside faucets so its not a super big deal, however when I woke up this morning I checked it and it for sure is either A: Dead or B:The water level has dropped below where the pump is.

I also received a phone call reminder from Enid that the Drought is so bad that the allowed watering for people on city water is down to only watering lawn by hand and for only an hour per day that they are allowed to water. Here is where my rant begins, our other neighbors who are also on private wells are so damned concerned with having green lawns that they run their sprinklers for HOURS and flood the streets EVERY day, which has lead me to believe that our pump is no longer drawing water and most likely also burned out due to this, which means that I will have to spend some $$$$ to replace the pump and have the well drilled deeper.

WE are in a DROUGHT people, a green lawn is not that damned important :finger:. All we use our well for is to water the lawn 1-2 times a week and keep our tomato garden watered, which now we will have to do by filling water cans inside and going out to water the garden.

Rant over, its just been one of those days.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Amen brother. Dumbest thing in the world to drive out of my 'hood every morning through puddles and rivers of water from lawn sprinklers.

Simon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Enid has had more rain than we have. Most of the stock tanks are dry and pastures are about gone, farmers are hauling hay and water. I have not mowed grass in over six weeks and the garden is gone. We have a spring that went dry last summer for the first time in more than 40yrs. It started to flow again during the winter but is dry again. If you can drill deeper and get water you will be very lucky. I think that this weather pattern will hold for a couple more years, based on weather cycles in the past. I guess we will make it through as we have in the past.

I know this doesn't help you with your well, but there are people worse off due to the current weather than either you or I.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When will the water situation ever be serious enough for these asshats to realize they need to stop wasting it?

^^^^
This is what this rant was all about, I could care less about a green lawn, I grew up in the Central Valley of CA where we had a drought every year and people accepted that their grass would be brown, hell a lot of people have gone to SynGrass cause its less maintenance. This vanity of having green lawns in a drought is just stupid.

waltham41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What amazes me is the cars you see lined up at the car washes waiting to waste a boatload of water to make their ride pretty.

I know a guy in the car wash business and people try to go around his truck blocking the bay and put money in and wash while he is inside working on them LOL

And yes it sucks when your water table drops enough that you loose your well. My aunt has a house that was built in 1943 and her well was drilled about the same time. About 7 years ago the water table dropped enough that she could not flush the toilet and wash her hands without the level dropping enough that the well would loose its prime.

It was cheaper to get rural water than to try to drill deeper with no guarantee that we would hit plentiful water.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont know if its so much vanity about having a green lawn as it is just stupidity... ;! ..maybe Ignorance?
They have them set on Automatic and they run until they are running down the street......they dont know or care?
I mean some of them start at 2 o'clock in the afternoon...the Worst time to be watering.
.....Not to hijack your thread...you know...but... Who in their right ,or ,left mind would throw a lit cig out a car window..
back to your thread .... jus ignorment... ;!.
.Sorry about your well problems

white92coupe

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'd ask if you tried talking with your neighbor about watering the street, but more time than not it is a lost friggin cause.

flatwins

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I haven't watered at all other than finally letting my trees have a drink the other night. We have at least 6 more weeks of these Hell-like temps and if we don't get some rain soon I suspect we're all going to be on water rationing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom