Water Woes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TCummings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well I've been messing with the pump and it looks like the bearings finally burnt up, so now it's a matter of replacing the pump. At least the water level isn't below where we are drilled.

However while I was typing the original post three neighbors were watering their lawns and one of them is still watering....

ByrdC130

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Now this comes from an old country boy that has lived most of his 52 yrs at the end of a dead end dirt road. But for the life if me I don't know why you would do something to make your grass grow like crazy so you have to mow, weed eat and trim in 147 degree heat and burn up $4.00 a gallon gas as often as possible. I'm loving my crispy brown non growing grass right now and guess what. When it rains again and gets below the melting point of lead, it'll turn green again and start growing.

PUMPKIN

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now this comes from an old country boy that has lived most of his 52 yrs at the end of a dead end dirt road. But for the life if me I don't know why you would do something to make your grass grow like crazy so you have to mow, weed eat and trim in 147 degree heat and burn up $4.00 a gallon gas as often as possible. I'm loving my crispy brown non growing grass right now and guess what. When it rains again and gets below the melting point of lead, it'll turn green again and start growing.
Some people like nice things.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In Clinton we have been on water rationing all year.
Just out of curiosity, if you are watering from a well and the water is on the ground around the well, wouldn't most of it return to the water table? Someone somewhere has to have studied this. I don't mean to minimize your concerns , but maybe someone here can address that question.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, if you are watering from a well and the water is on the ground around the well, wouldn't most of it return to the water table? Someone somewhere has to have studied this. I don't mean to minimize your concerns , but maybe someone here can address that question.
Wells around here are ~250 feet deep.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
No, its consumed by evaporation and the plants and trees. None of it would return.

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey Tcummings. Sorry you have to replace your pump...my issue too! With a new pump they installed an intermitter (that's what the guy called it anyway). This thing senses the electrical amp draw of the pump. When the pump pumps the well off the pumps spins free as there is no water to pump...less amp draw for the motor. The intermitter sees this and shuts the pump off...no more messed up pump because it is running dry. There's a timer on the intermitter that re-starts the pump based on your desired set pump delay time. Cool deal!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Well I've been messing with the pump and it looks like the bearings finally burnt up, so now it's a matter of replacing the pump. At least the water level isn't below where we are drilled.

However while I was typing the original post three neighbors were watering their lawns and one of them is still watering....

Above ground pump or submersible pump?

Latest posts

Top Bottom