Waterfowl 2017/2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Okie....they are there. Not wide spread but very concentrated.

That could be, but going off of what we're used to seeing over the last 15 years, there's not many birds here, and hasn't been a normal migration year in our area. When the country side is flat enough to see a ducknado from a about 10 miles away through binoculars, you can cover a lot of ground scouting fairly quick, and there's usually three of us scouting in three directions :) Did watch a bunch geese and a fair amount of ducks fly into cut milo just a mile from home this evening so they're on the hit list now! :)

Interesting you mentioned concentrated, I've heard a few other guys mention the same this year. They're not seeing small groups of scattered birds but groups of 1000's and nothing in between.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Mixed bag with the kid, justin_h635 and another. Shot her first speck though.
3.jpg
20180120_092828.jpg

Lakenut

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We have lost 1/2 the birds living on our place. Morning and afternoon hunts today were dismal. We pulled decoys at last shooting light and moved a couple hundred yards to the east and watched the show. Last week we had flocks of 100+ come in for 30 min after sundown. At peak we probably had 2500+ calling our place home. Tonight, nothing came back until 20 min past legal. At 7pm heard several big flocks of geese moving north. All in all it has been a solid second half. I'm done for the year. Had some memorable hunts....and finished under a brillant sunset. Big thanks to the man upstairs for being able to enjoy another season!

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Reaction score
Very nice Okie! It does my heart good when I see pictures of your daughter and the game she bags.
Thanks. The 15yo son of the landowner was checking his traps on this same place this morning as we were leaving. Loaned him some traps and showed him a few sets a couple years ago and he's been ate up with it ever since. Good to see kids in the outdoors because they enjoy it. :)

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
We have lost 1/2 the birds living on our place. Morning and afternoon hunts today were dismal. We pulled decoys at last shooting light and moved a couple hundred yards to the east and watched the show. Last week we had flocks of 100+ come in for 30 min after sundown. At peak we probably had 2500+ calling our place home. Tonight, nothing came back until 20 min past legal. At 7pm heard several big flocks of geese moving north. All in all it has been a solid second half. I'm done for the year. Had some memorable hunts....and finished under a brillant sunset. Big thanks to the man upstairs for being able to enjoy another season!

Sounds like a great year,lakenut. I've been seeing big flocks of high-fliers headed north myself.
There are still craptons of geese around though. Plenty of ducks too. We watched a few thousand tornado into a corn field that the guy won't let us hunt. He thinks all the shooting will run off the deer. Oh well,we've had a decent year.

Latest posts

Top Bottom