Waterfowl 2017/2018

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Couple of glory pics from this weekend. Switched over completely from a 12 gauge to a 16 this year. The older I get the less I like the weight and recoil of a 12 gauge. That 16 gauge is so much lighter and kicks so much less its not even funny. Steel shot loads have come a LONG ways in 30 years and I didn't see the need to beat myself up any longer. Pleased with the results.

vu95KN5l.jpg

XjLqw4Ll.jpg

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Couple of glory pics from this weekend. Switched over completely from a 12 gauge to a 16 this year. The older I get the less I like the weight and recoil of a 12 gauge. That 16 gauge is so much lighter and kicks so much less its not even funny. Steel shot loads have come a LONG ways in 30 years and I didn't see the need to beat myself up any longer. Pleased with the results.

vu95KN5l.jpg

XjLqw4Ll.jpg

LOL, Sweet 16? What was your older shotgun that hurt you?
My go to shotgun is a Sweet 16. I have a dozen others that are gathering dust.
It's not the gauge, it's the design that comps for the lesser recoil.
A 1 1/8 shot from a Sweet 16 is exactly the same as a Browning 12 gauge A5 with the same weight.
Not sure what your old gun was though.

ElkStalkR

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In general I've found the the 16 gauge to be a lighter gun with lighter recoil. I am currently shooting the new A5 sweet 16 that went into production last year. Before that I was shooting a over under 16 gauge. Almost any over under 12 gauge I have ever fired will rip your arm off compared to that 16 gauge over under.

My main waterfowl 12 was a Remington 870 and my main upland 12 was a browning gold hunter. The browning gold hunter doesn't kick all that bad. But again compared to the 16 gauge......

I just purchased a 16 gauge 870. Haven't fired it but I will be shocked if the recoil isn't less than my 12 gauge 870.

So far I have found that 16 will do everything my 12 will do. Or at least everything I want it to do. Plus it weighs and kicks less.

Latest posts

Top Bottom