We got any plumbers here?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPT Gene Mauch

You gotta creep
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kitchen sink has started leaking. As far as I can tell it's coming from the outside of the rubber collar that joins the iron drain pipe and the plastic sink pipe.

20230102_183717.jpg

I've tried loosening those straps and shifting it around, but it didn't help. Any ideas what needs to happen to fix it?

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if your rubber nohub is leaking at the wall side between the vent-drain pipe and the hub you may have to open up the wall to get a better bite (slide it farther on ) to the nipple and re tighten the clamp!

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My kitchen sink has started leaking. As far as I can tell it's coming from the outside of the rubber collar that joins the iron drain pipe and the plastic sink pipe.

View attachment 335102

I've tried loosening those straps and shifting it around, but it didn't help. Any ideas what needs to happen to fix it?
Before you go tearing up the floor you might remove the worm screws from that fernco and see if any of them have bitten through the rubber. If so, that'll be your leak. Might be an easy fix.
You can also try the silicone thing, but that won't last forever.

Bocephus123

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Before you go tearing up the floor you might remove the worm screws from that fernco and see if any of them have bitten through the rubber. If so, that'll be your leak. Might be an easy fix.
You can also try the silicone thing, but that won't last forever.
doesn't go through the floor

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go on into the wall, it's under the sink and no one will see the mess and once the leak is stopped, you can wait until either you feel better or spring arrives to repair the wall. A plumber is going to cost you the deed to your property with today's inflation so it's better to start yourself now rather than later. That leak has to be stopped or more damage will occur-mold, rotted studs etc.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
those things are super thick never seen one with a hole but anything is possible
I've seen them where they were opened, wiggled, or loosened and re-tightened enough that they wear through the rubber where the straps hold. And I guess that's a wall it's going through? Regardless, that's what I'd check before tearing the (anything) down.

Latest posts

Top Bottom