Well Done Steak

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dad had a saying, "Knock off its horns, wipe its butt and wave it over a match."

He also died at the age of 92 with a pig valve and two quad bypasses under his belt.

I just finished my mango red jalepeno salmon and a huge salad. After my quad bypass in 2014.
I heard that, from my Mom, as "Knock off it's horns, wipe it's ass and run it by the fire on the way to my plate". Always rare for me...

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hey! I resemble that remark--except for the fact I like my steak medium rare. I was at the Spudder last night (a "Tulsa tradition" according to their radio ads.) I got the KC Strip done medium rare and it was great. It was my first time there and I'll have to go back again when I can afford to--it's not Ruth's Crist expensive but it's the most I've ever spent on a single meal for myself. The best part (to me) was that they didn't ask if I wanted any steak sauce. IMHO, if the steak needs sauce, it's a fail. If you automatically ask me if I want it, I'm suspicious.
Try the lamb chops there. Ridiculously good.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my steaks in the form of a nice thick rib eye. Sprinkled with salt, pepper and garlic powder, finished off with a nice pat of garlic butter while it rests to a rare to medium rare doneness. As for steak sauce, I like it. Usually A1, sometimes Heinz 57 and on occasion, mustard mixed with sesame oil. I do this not because it's "needed" but because I LIKE it.

I have a good palate and I enjoy complex flavors (Indian, Thai, Korean, French, Vietnamese...)

Went to a Morton's streak house in Philly. The bill for 2 of us was north of $300 for dinner and a bottle of wine. Steaks were quite good and the quality of the meat was excellent. When I asked for A1 I was immediately snubbed and told "Our steaks don't require condiments." My reply was simply, "They do if you want me to pay for them."

I don't get all the huff about what flavors someone else enjoys. I also like gravy on my biscuits.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I asked for A1 I was immediately snubbed and told "Our steaks don't require condiments." My reply was simply, "They do if you want me to pay for them."
A1 is 'Murica in a nutshell. Look at the front label; it was brought to market in 1862. That means in the middle of our nation's bloodiest war, somebody thought, "you know, what the world needs right now is a good steak sauce, and I'm just the guy to bring it to them. 'Cause 'Murica."

The ones that annoy me are the ones that bring me their "house" sauce in a bottle that looks like an A1 bottle. I didn't ask for "steak sauce," I specifically asked for A1. Is that too difficult to understand? I'm pretty sure I didn't stutter, although with the trends in restaurant acoustics over the last 25 years, I guess I should be glad I got anything I actually ordered...

TwoForFlinching

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A1 is England in a nutshell. Look at the front label; it was brought to market in 1862. That means in the middle of America's bloodiest war, the kings personal chef thought, "you know, what the world needs right now is a good steak sauce, and I'm just the guy to bring it to them. 'For England."

FIFY

Latest posts

Top Bottom