Westboro Baptist Church - Protesting Oklahoman churches

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AC37

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I agree with you.
Having said that, consider that you don't have the right to yell fire in a theater ( I disagree with that, I see it as a door to more restrictions). There are limits to free speech. You cannot be a Chrishna harassing people at the airport and when you work for a company you are bound by their rules, no free speech there.

Frequent oversimplification/misintrepration; you do have the right you yell fire in a crowded theater; what you don't have is a right to do it falsely (i.e. no fire), which is, ironically enough, what whole statement/crime hinges on. What a difference a single word can make! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shouting_fire_in_a_crowded_theater

To further clarify, saying/making it illegal to yell fire in crowded theater would be prior restraint (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior_restraint#Prior_restraint_in_the_United_States); which to paraphrase is to stop you from doing something/owning something before you do it/own it, on the basis you might do it/use it wrong. Easy example: making a law banning lawnmower ownership/possession because a person might use one to brutally attack a playground full of schoolchildren would be an illegal law.

IOW: you can't tell a lie causes lots of people to kill/injure one another unnecessarily. Along the lines of slander or libel - it's not illegal to say something damaging to a person or company, it is illegal to do so when that statement is factually incorrect. IOW: the truth is its own best defense.

The way I see it, a funeral is a private matter and an expression of their 1A rights to worship and say what they want. These morons interfere with their right to assemble and have a private funeral.
"Congress shall make no law..., or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech"
Congress shall make no law, companies and individuals are not included.

While I would agree with you that on a societal level that a funeral is a semi-private event and WBC protests are at best in very poor taste, AFAIK, from a legal and practical perspective most funerals are held in at least a semi-public public place outdoors with limited or even nonexistent restricted access; making them in practice a semi-public event.

I think of a lot of people misunderstand the 1A; from my studies how it seems to be intended is, "this is a completely gov't (fed, state, local) hands-off topic, not open for debate." No addt'l laws respecting or denying the 1A, one way or the other. Let things sort themselves out - but without violence, one way or the other (which is all the law is, by definition - situations that gov't-sanctioned violence has been deemed OK).

The problem is when people don't and convince themselves that one exception to the 1A is OK is extreme circumstances, then two, then three; next thing you know, another fundamental right has ceased to exist in practice, and we have yet another limited, revocable privilege managed by an inept, top-heavy bureaucracy made up of "leaders" unfit to run their own lives, let alone direct the lives of over a quarter billion people.

"Somehow the notion of unalienable liberty got lost. It's really become a question of what liberties will the state assign to individuals or rather, what liberties we will have the strength to cling to." Paul Denton

CircuitRider

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
That group of haters don't qualify to be called a church by their very actions. They got blocked from our church grounds a couple of years ago because we were having a car show here in Tulsa. It is difficult to see what they do besides spread negativism and hate. They certainly don't spread any love around.

HMFIC

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think it will be particularly amusing when some of the younger ones start waking up and realizing that they've wasted their life and work and money on this insanity.

Then again, maybe the family orgies make it all worthwhile for them though...

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not the way it works.

Wichita ain't rural at all. It's FAR from it.

I'm talking counties where the total pop. is around 13k or less. Where S.O.P. for a "defense" is to plea out, lest the defense attorney has a record of "defending criminals" when he runs for D.A. or District Judge later. Where it's not uncommon to have prosecutors ask questions that only help the defense in certain types of cases.

Basically, legal trouble in a rural area means you just became a political pawn.

But if a certain prosecution will rile up the locals, you'll get a lot of "I didn't see nothin'" and "that's the rumor, but I can't confirm it" statements.

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I believe the Westboro Baptist Church has the right to properly protest whatever they want.

At the same time, one cannot deny me my right to protest their protest, protest outside of their church, and intercept and head-off their picketing.

I would LOVE the opportunity to keep a 24/7 picket camp outside of their church facility...

can we make that happen? Not sure if I can manage the fund-raising part, but I can annoy anyone for days on end.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
from my understanding some of the money come from the lawsuits. some of them are lawyers and from what i can tell they are not doing these things because they "believe" them, they want attention, but more importantly they want people to get so angry they do come up and hit them or do something stupid so then they can sue....

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe the Westboro Baptist Church has the right to properly protest whatever they want.

At the same time, one cannot deny me my right to protest their protest, protest outside of their church, and intercept and head-off their picketing.

I would LOVE the opportunity to keep a 24/7 picket camp outside of their church facility...

can we make that happen? Not sure if I can manage the fund-raising part, but I can annoy anyone for days on end.

This.

This is why I support the Phelps' side in Snyder v. Phelps.

And I would send you one can of Spam per week to support your protest. Especially if you dress like this:

[Broken External Image]

Latest posts

Top Bottom