Western Heights teachers’ pay docked for participating in walkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Dont worry, I wont lose any sleep over it. Thanks for the advice

I fully supported the teachers raise and raise in spending for education, and have said that many times. What I didnt support was the strike. The teachers can play semantics all they want, a walk out is a strike.

Webster’s defines a strike, in the labor sense, as “to stop work in order to force an employer to comply with demands. That's exactly what the teachers did isn't it?

so you take issue with them exerting concessions through a strike? How do you feel about things like the 40 hour work week, paid overtime and weekends?

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dont worry, I wont lose any sleep over it. Thanks for the advice

I fully supported the teachers raise and raise in spending for education, and have said that many times. What I didnt support was the strike. The teachers can play semantics all they want, a walk out is a strike.

Webster’s defines a strike, in the labor sense, as “to stop work in order to force an employer to comply with demands. That's exactly what the teachers did isn't it?

What do you offer that should've been done in it's place?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
so you take issue with them exerting concessions through a strike? How do you feel about things like the 40 hour work week, paid overtime and weekends?
Yes, I do. School employees aren't aloud to strike in Oklahoma. They broke the law. How would you feel about the military, police and fire dept striking?

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What do you offer that should've been done in it's place?
There's an election coming up. Vote out incumbents who do the kabuki dick dance

Dont go into teaching when the state you live pays ****

Move to another state that pays better.

This isn't anything that hasn't been said before. So here comes the tap dancing some of you will do.

The strike proved nothing except that you can willfully break the law if you have a large enough group

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There's an election coming up. Vote out incumbents who do the kabuki dick dance

Dont go into teaching when the state you live pays ****

Move to another state that pays better.

This isn't anything that hasn't been said before. So here comes the tap dancing some of you will do.

The strike proved nothing except that you can willfully break the law if you have a large enough group

So your options are...

Vote Democrat

Don't follow your dreams. (yes a lot of teachers love their job)

Move to another state. (even if your friends and family are here)

Some excellent solutions to improving the education system in Oklahoma I tells ya lol.

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So your options are...

Vote Democrat

Vote a incumbent out in the primary

Don't follow your dreams. (yes a lot of teachers love their job)

Never said that. If you knew that OK paid a crap wage for being a teacher and you become a teacher, well you kinda did that to yourself

Move to another state. (even if your friends and family are here)

Yes. Lots of people have to do so. Its a fact of life

Some excellent solutions to improving the education system in Oklahoma I tells ya lol.

Frankly it doesn't matter whether you think those are good solutions or not. Any solution shouldn't involve the disgruntled breaking the law. They're lucky they didnt get fired and got away with it

Last edited:

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Frankly it doesn't matter whether you think those are good solutions or not. Any solution shouldn't involve the disgruntled breaking the law. They're lucky they didnt get fired and got away with it

Right, just pointing out the mentality that got us here in the first place.

It is my understanding that the walkouts weren't illegal, around here anyways, because the school boards voted to shut down. It's illegal to strike against the board but not against the state legislature? Or am I wrong? @Dave70968?

Last edited:

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Right, just pointing out the mentality that got us here in the first place.

It is my understanding that the walkouts weren't illegal, around here anyways, because the school boards voted to shut down. It's illegal to strike against the board but not against the state legislature? Or am I wrong? @Dave70968?
Labor law isn't my thing, and the distinction between a "strike" and a "walkout" is a subtle one that exceeds my knowledge. I can tell you that demonstrating against the legislature isn't a "strike" unless you're actually an employee of the legislature (staffer, etc.); strikes are against an employer. I think strikes also involve a union, which technically doesn't exist for teachers--the various education associations are political advocacy groups, similar to a trade group, not a union with collective bargaining rights. But, again, I'm outside my wheelhouse here, so anybody who is more familiar with the subject than I am is invited and encouraged to step up and correct me.

As to a solution not involving "the disgruntled breaking the law," that's a dangerous road to go down; sometimes, that's exactly the right thing to do. Remember, Rosa Parks, the Underground Railroad, etc. involved "the disgruntled breaking the law." I'm not saying the cases are equivalent, just saying that "law" and "morality" bear a tenuous connection at best (similarly, "legal" and "right" have only the loosest of associations).

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes, I do. School employees aren't aloud to strike in Oklahoma. They broke the law. How would you feel about the military, police and fire dept striking?
To be entirely fair, there's a certain immediacy in those professions that isn't present in education. A pop quiz tomorrow is as effective as a pop quiz today; a fire truck tomorrow, rather less so.

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
Teachers are 100% allowed to strike in Oklahoma against the state. Teachers are not allowed to strike against their district. Therefore, you are completely incorrect about everything dealing with the walkout.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom