Western Heights teachers’ pay docked for participating in walkout

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This is the part you do not get, you are paying for the investment in our economy. Believe it or not, but being a citizen is not all about you.

that is one point that seems often missed during these discussions around here. Everyone benefits from an educated society in one way or another.

try to find a doctor who didn't attend a public school. They are out there, for sure, but probably harder to come across than you might think. Same for a mechanic, HVAC installer, police officer, etc etc.

All of those people contribute back to your life in some way and you benefit from them being reasonably educated (even if they went on to learn a specialized trade on their own dime)

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I agree that there is a mutual society benefit from education. However, regardless of the whether you agree with the quality of such education or not, if one chooses to homeschool / private school / or anything other than public, you pay for both.

I think it would be fair to offer vouchers/tax credits during such years that a person is paying for their own children to go to school if it is other than public.

Sampson

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rc508

If your worried about tax money being spent frivolously or on services you don’t agree with. My advice is “Don’t dig any deeper, your opening a can of worms with no bottom to it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ADM is about 10k per year. I’ll wager you don’t spend 10k in taxes on goods and services.
Im not arguing for or against home schooling based on what a guys pays in taxes. Im just saying I still pay taxes for services Im not using right? It sounds like the school loses out more if I home school my kid though

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Im not arguing for or against home schooling based on what a guys pays in taxes. Im just saying I still pay taxes for services Im not using right? It sounds like the school loses out more if I home school my kid though

I believe that some of what you spend and pay in taxes does go to the local schools. But only in certain items. Gas, and tobacco. Other sales are ear Marked for other intents. Not every dollar collected in taxes will/does go to schools. In fact... businesses make up the bulk of those.

Honey Badger

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

For example. You pay taxes in your groceries at Walmart. That money doesn’t come to schools. The business.... wal-mart .... has to pay taxes that in part support schools

Last edited:

rc508pir

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Rc508

If your worried about tax money being spent frivolously or on services you don’t agree with. My advice is “Don’t dig any deeper, your opening a can of worms with no bottom to it”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dont worry, I wont lose any sleep over it. Thanks for the advice

I fully supported the teachers raise and raise in spending for education, and have said that many times. What I didnt support was the strike. The teachers can play semantics all they want, a walk out is a strike.

Webster’s defines a strike, in the labor sense, as “to stop work in order to force an employer to comply with demands. That's exactly what the teachers did isn't it?

Latest posts

Top Bottom