What’s gonna be the next FAD caliber?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
700 Nitro Express

I understand Dennis uses these to control the ferrel chimpmunks around his place....
They don't stand a chance. I can kill em 3' deep in their burrows. Wife says I look funny with a stethoscope to the ground, but she doesn't understand gopher hunting.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
.224 Valkyrie and 6mm Creed are fast becoming prevalent in the long range game. 6.5 Creed seems here to stay and I know more than a few that shoot .280. I wish it were the .243 WSSM, but they fielded that in bolt action first and the round really was designed for an AR platform.... So, .224Valk for the win??
243 WSSM brass is back on the factory market! Some of the gun sages that know it all say it may come back on the market in the AR platform since all the BS negative barrel burner keyboard idiots have been soundly disproved.
My 1:12 Twist upper for 55 grain at 4050 FPS and 4200 fps running 45 grain pills is still out there at the builder. Paid for in February, but waiting on parts from the folks that build the BCG and upper mods. The demand for that round to come back is increasing among the long range shooters. Fingers crossed.......
The .224 Valkyrie is the current darling of the LR folks, but it's all about the bullet and not the velocity. It starts out at 2700 fps for a factory round but stays supersonic out to 1300 yards. For comparison, the .308 drops out at around 1000 yards.
The .223 WSSM holds the current world record I believe at 4750 fps.
Although speed is a great factor, the bullet design is the overwhelming factor in long range shooting. The ballistics coefficient is king, or queen to be politically correct.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They don't stand a chance. I can kill em 3' deep in their burrows. Wife says I look funny with a stethoscope to the ground, but she doesn't understand gopher hunting.

Need pics of Dennis with stethoscope to the ground searching for the furtive sounds of feral chimpmonks.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
IMG_1478.PNG

Latest posts

Top Bottom