What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorted a 5 gallon pail of miscellaneous brass. Had a lot of 22 and aluminum cases and a few steel cases but ended up with over 5,000 9mm and significant amounts of .40 S&W and 45 acp. Was surprised at how many 38 and 357 cases were in the bucket. I guess not everyone reloads and sees the value in empty brass.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaded 50 rounds of 12 gauge 8 shot. Still on that hard learning curve wondering if there is a machine that decaps shotshell seperate from the Mec grabber. That station seems to be the bane of my existence currently
I’ve never owned or used a Grabber but have never had a problem decapping on any of the other MEC’s I’ve had. Can you explain what it‘s doing or not doing?

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorted a 5 gallon pail of miscellaneous brass. Had a lot of 22 and aluminum cases and a few steel cases but ended up with over 5,000 9mm and significant amounts of .40 S&W and 45 acp. Was surprised at how many 38 and 357 cases were in the bucket. I guess not everyone reloads and sees the value in empty brass.

When I was still stationed in Camp Lejeune, I worked oart time at a local range as an RSO. The pay was crap, but I got to keep as much brass as I wanted from what was shot during the days that I worked. I just about doubled my pay once you factor in all the brass I gathered. I still have 6 of those storage tubs you can get at Wal-Mart full of brass from that job.

Yesterday I prepped another 50 rounds of 6.5x47L Lapua brass. I had primed, charged, and seated 50 rounds the previous day. Unfortunately my Forester 6.5x47L seater die leaves a nasty ring around every bullet that it's touched so far. I'm convinced now that my Forester FL sizing die isn't opening the necks quite enough, and I'm getting too much tension. Time to go order an expander mandrel and start experimenting 🤬.

^ Amazingly; even with a Tubb nose ring essentially placed on every bullet with my seater die, my one 6.5x47L still hammers five shots into some tiny little groups around 1/3 MOA.

streak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never owned or used a Grabber but have never had a problem decapping on any of the other MEC’s I’ve had. Can you explain what it‘s doing or not doing?
I’ll try my best. When I go to deprime, pull down the Handel, about every 7-8 rounds the little tube that slides up and down inside the collet to lower/raise the shell will push down in actually get itself wedged in between the forks of the shell lifter bracket. I end up having to take a bar and pry it up to get the shell lifter free.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Primed 700 .38 Spl and 400 .357 Mag, today.

All primed with Ginex SPP.

Observations:
Heard much discussion of Ginex being slightly larger. Did not experience that, except, Hornady, S&B, and Perfecta brass was very tight. Hornady was the worst.

Win, Fed, R-P and others could tell no difference than other primers.

Thinking I may order a set of Go, NoGo primer pocket pins.

OKCHunter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Primed 700 .38 Spl and 400 .357 Mag, today.

All primed with Ginex SPP.

Observations:
Heard much discussion of Ginex being slightly larger. Did not experience that, except, Hornady, S&B, and Perfecta brass was very tight. Hornady was the worst.

Win, Fed, R-P and others could tell no difference than other primers.

Thinking I may order a set of Go, NoGo primer pocket pins.
I use this tool in both small and large primer pocket gauges. I usually find 6 or 8 pieces out of 500 from range pickup brass that get culled and thrown out for being too tight or not enough depth. I use the gauges after cleaning brass (I deprime and SS pin wet tumble) during my inspection process. I mainly do it to keep my progressive press running smoothly.

https://ballistictools.com/store/swage-gage-small-primer-pocket

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I broke out a new (well, 15+ years old but unopened) bottle of Varget for my M24R.

I loaded 15 (5x3) rounds at .4 and .2gr under/over just to check to see if there is going to be a difference in velocity with this 'new lot'. 42.8gr is what I was using under the 175gr SMK, and it matched the BDC turret on the rifle very well.

I also ran 50 pieces of new 6.5x47L brass over my .262 Sinclair expander mandrel just to open the necks. It was a lot shooter than doing so over the expander ball in my Forester FL die.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the 3 year old grandson here and he ran the single stage press and made some 9MM ammo for his father.
We also messed with the multi meter reading AA battery voltage for his toys.

Read some numbers on the dial calipers for setting OAL with him.
He is almost 4 and I think by 6 he should be able to knock it all out of the ball park.

We did later go to the park and swing and toss rocks and sticks into the creek.
Good day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom