What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaded the necessary rounds for the Military Benchrest Match this coming Saturday morning at OKCGC.

Plus a few spares, just in case.

7.62x54R Lee C312-185-1R, 16gr 2400 powder.
DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0002.JPG

Anyone else wanna come play too ?

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Worked called early this morning so I just stayed up. Decided to clean and set up my 300 PRC dies. Did a temp set up with Hornady Lock n Load bushings, changed out to Hornady lock rings, deep cleaned the internal parts with alcohol and a nice coat of oil on the exterior.

1674395782485.png

Glockisgood17

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yesterday I had the 3 year old grandson here and he ran the single stage press and made some 9MM ammo for his father.
We also messed with the multi meter reading AA battery voltage for his toys.

Read some numbers on the dial calipers for setting OAL with him.
He is almost 4 and I think by 6 he should be able to knock it all out of the ball park.

We did later go to the park and swing and toss rocks and sticks into the creek.
Good day.
You go papaw! Memories to treasure !

Regards,

Rustygun

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Today I loaded 500 rounds of 115g poly coated LRN from precision bullets for my 9mms. Kept getting spent primers on the bench and finally looked under the strong mount where my spent primer cup was over full and blocked up so spent primers were jammed in the drop tube. There had to be way over 4K old primers in the jar. I guess I am the guy that if something is working I forget it is there. Cleaned that all up and noticed the old Dillon 650 had a few sticky spots and decided it was time to tear it down clean and lube everything.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A couple questions.. I got hooked on shooting Prairie Dogs last July. Was told there would be thousands to shoot. Drove 1,000 miles to find out that the had been poisoned out. Spent 3 days with my .17 HMR and shooting between 100 to 200 yard and seldom missed.
Now I'm thinking Coyotes. I've read .22 and .17 HMR will work fine. but wondering if I should use my 223/556 or my 243 bolt action.
I only have a few 243 from about 25 years ago when I got the gun, ($8.00 per box of 20) I took it out to the range a few weeks ago and sighted it in at 100 yards and had a one inch group. Now I'm finding ammo for $2.00 per round and think that is beyond what I want to spend, and i have at least 2,000 rounds of the AR Ammo.
I love my .17 CZ HMR VARMINT and shoot match at 235 yards on a 6X8 inch target.. It's quiet compared to the big rifles.
Which one would you use?

Next question... I friend gave me a REDDING Die set for a 243, but I have no press. Do I look for a press or forget about reloading of the 243 since I have so much 223/556 and sale off the die set?

I normally shoot shotguns, and I love the reloading. Do I need another expensive habit?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A couple questions.. I got hooked on shooting Prairie Dogs last July. Was told there would be thousands to shoot. Drove 1,000 miles to find out that the had been poisoned out. Spent 3 days with my .17 HMR and shooting between 100 to 200 yard and seldom missed.
Now I'm thinking Coyotes. I've read .22 and .17 HMR will work fine. but wondering if I should use my 223/556 or my 243 bolt action.
I only have a few 243 from about 25 years ago when I got the gun, ($8.00 per box of 20) I took it out to the range a few weeks ago and sighted it in at 100 yards and had a one inch group. Now I'm finding ammo for $2.00 per round and think that is beyond what I want to spend, and i have at least 2,000 rounds of the AR Ammo.
I love my .17 CZ HMR VARMINT and shoot match at 235 yards on a 6X8 inch target.. It's quiet compared to the big rifles.
Which one would you use?

Next question... I friend gave me a REDDING Die set for a 243, but I have no press. Do I look for a press or forget about reloading of the 243 since I have so much 223/556 and sale off the die set?

I normally shoot shotguns, and I love the reloading. Do I need another expensive habit?
Alot to address here.
First off, yes, your 17hmr will work on coyotes, but the ones I’ve shot didn’t drop them in their tracks like my 270 does.
I’m fixing to get serious about coyote control myself, and I’m on the fence to as to what I’m going to use too...17hmr AR, 223 AR, or a deer rifle.

I always hate to discourage someone from getting into reloading, but unless you’re going to shoot volume rounds of 243, you’ll be better off financially paying $2/round to buy factory ammo.

If your just looking for an excuse to get into rifle reloading, I think this would be as good a reason as any.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Which one would you use?

.17 HMR can absolutely kill coyotes. However, range, bullet selection (already limited), and shot placement all become much more critical. Don't forget that butterfly-like wind drift once the wind blows more than 5 MPH.

I wouldn't buy a press just because you were given dies. Spend that initial $500+ investment because you really want to get into reloading. Don't worry, it'll become a $1K investment quickly.

alnpar

Old Truckers Never Die
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Alot to address here.
First off, yes, your 17hmr will work on coyotes, but the ones I’ve shot didn’t drop them in their tracks like my 270 does.
I’m fixing to get serious about coyote control myself, and I’m on the fence to as to what I’m going to use too...17hmr AR, 223 AR, or a deer rifle.

I always hate to discourage someone from getting into reloading, but unless you’re going to shoot volume rounds of 243, you’ll be better off financially paying $2/round to buy factory ammo.

If your just looking for an excuse to get into rifle reloading, I think this would be as good a reason as any.
Thanks for your input.. I kind of knew the answer,. I love my straight shootin 243, but like you said a .17 don't always drop them in their tracks. That being said.. I've never hunted yotes, and I think if I was to miss or wound one, I could get back on target quicker with the AR than my Bolt action.

I'd rather reload in my garage than to sit and watch TV. Even if I don't shoot them. Would it be a good market to dale reloads or not a good idea. I have sold several flats of shotgun ammo, but a hi powered ammo may not have a market. No looking to make a profit (maybe some) I'm pushing 72 and to old to hunt like i was when I was a kid. Can't do the walking! Still looking for a place to go after P Dogs however! MY .17 LOVES THEM

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for your input.. I kind of knew the answer,. I love my straight shootin 243, but like you said a .17 don't always drop them in their tracks. That being said.. I've never hunted yotes, and I think if I was to miss or wound one, I could get back on target quicker with the AR than my Bolt action.

I'd rather reload in my garage than to sit and watch TV. Even if I don't shoot them. Would it be a good market to dale reloads or not a good idea. I have sold several flats of shotgun ammo, but a hi powered ammo may not have a market. No looking to make a profit (maybe some) I'm pushing 72 and to old to hunt like i was when I was a kid. Can't do the walking! Still looking for a place to go after P Dogs however! MY .17 LOVES THEM
I’m not up on the regs, but I think you’re supposed to have a manufacturers license to legally sell your reloaded ammo. I’d advise looking into it before advertising any for sale.
If you like a 17hmr, I’d suggest looking into an Alexander Arms 17hmr AR upper. That’s the only AR I shoot regularly.

Latest posts

Top Bottom