What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I always hate to discourage someone from getting into reloading, but unless you’re going to shoot volume rounds of 243, you’ll be better off financially paying $2/round to buy factory ammo.

If your just looking for an excuse to get into rifle reloading, I think this would be as good a reason as any.
Good info here! Another thing to consider is if his rifle shoots good or better than good with factory ammo, I'd be hard pressed to not stick with factory. By the time you get the basics to load 100 rounds, you could easily have a few hundred rounds of ammo on hand.

I had a rifle that wouldn't. I mean horrible 1.5" with the best factory I could get. It does this now. 5 shots with a cold bore
IMG_20200926_152106~2.jpg

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good info here! Another thing to consider is if his rifle shoots good or better than good with factory ammo, I'd be hard pressed to not stick with factory. By the time you get the basics to load 100 rounds, you could easily have a few hundred rounds of ammo on hand.

I had a rifle that wouldn't. I mean horrible 1.5" with the best factory I could get. It does this now. 5 shots with a cold bore
View attachment 341592
That‘s some good shooting!!! :thumb:
I was discussing accuracy yesterday with another member that’s not happy with the consistency he’s getting out of his handloads, and I pointed out that he could kill every animal in the woods with his rifle/ammo combo. I’ve been anal about accuracy and sold good rifles that I couldn’t get to group to suit me, but considering the size of the kill zone on a deer, an inch or an inch and a half group at 100 yards is plenty good for hunting. My goal is still to achieve one hole accuracy at 100 yards, but I’m a little more forgiving on this than I used to be.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My goal is still to achieve one hole accuracy at 100 yards, but I’m a little more forgiving on this than I used to be.

I gave up on that 1 hole deal at 100 but only because I seen some 3/4" groups stay 3/4" at 200
and then under 1" at 300.
So I want 1" at 300 but am pretty happy with factory barreled rifles even if they do not get me my 1" or better at 300.
Most of mine can stay under 3" at 300 and some under 2".

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

View attachment 341592
Folks seem to forget; just a few decades ago, 2-3" groups at 100 was a good shooter, especially for a factory rifle. Read the old gun magazines, they were happy with under 3".
A rifle that could shoot 1 MOA was almost a legend: not believed by many.

Nowadays, people think anything that won't put 5 in one hole at 100 is junk.
Yet, most will say that for hunting, keeping 3 to 5 on a 9" paper plate will do just fine.

Shrug.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I blame the 'interwebs' on a lot of that accuracy expectancy.

A LOT of dudes out there cherry picking one group after a day at the range...stating that their rifles will do that "all day, every day...as long long you do your part". The problem is there's only one group to show for two hours of shooting?

I see a single 3-5 round group that is attached to an accuracy boast, I get skeptical in a hurry. Now if it is attached to a comment about load development, and followed up by a desire to confirm...then I'm excited for that shooter.

^ Thise are the same guys who sit 5' behind their deer, or hold their fish out at the camera...and the internet is full of them.

Or worse yet, it's the guys boasting with zero proof. I was at a Dicks sporting goofs store 15 years ago when the gun counter idiot and a semi-retarded customer got in a pissing match over who killed the bigger deer. By the time I walked away disgusted they had eclipsed the 500lb mark...no joke.

I understand that every sport is going to have an element of competition, but compete with yourself and not the guy who cropped his target to hide that 1" flier. You'll get a lot more out of handloading that way....rather than trying to gain as much 'internet cred' as the loser who tries to convince his old lady that something that only goes halfway to his belly button is actually nine inches.

Dumpstick

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Or worse yet, it's the guys boasting with zero proof. I was at a Dicks sporting goofs store 15 years ago when the gun counter idiot and a semi-retarded customer got in a pissing match over who killed the bigger deer. By the time I walked away disgusted they had eclipsed the 500lb mark...no joke.
One of my (much younger) cousins was telling me about how great his 30-30 was. Dead on hold, shot a record buck at 600 yards.
Didn't have a pic of the buck, and had to sell the 30-30 that shot flat as a laser.

I just told him what a prodigious shot that was, and moved on to a different subject.

Latest posts

Top Bottom