What did you do in the reloading room today?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
301 pieces of small primer 6.5 brass all primed and ready to load. It may be time for a better bench mounted priming tool.

1680804611611.png

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaded and shot 30 rounds for my first 6.5x47 today.

Went from virgin brass to 1x fired. Bumped the shoulder .002, while virgin was .005.

Chose two combos that had previously worked great, and loaded 3x5 rounds for groups...kind of bracketing the best charge by a couple tenths of a grain.

Lesson learned: it looks like both loads like a 1% increase from virgin...I should have known better. The low and middle charge sucked 😄. However the "high" charge for both loads just clipped the start of the happy place for my barrel.

^ My Krieger has a distinct "scatter node" that is usually 1% off from throwing its tightest group. Today was no different. I went from a 1.052" to a .370", and it looks like one or two more tenths will get me exactly where I want to be.

I did notice that velocity stayed the same though in charge weights from virgin to 1x fired brass...or at least that's what my chrono told me.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Loaded and shot my final 15 rounds for confirmation on my 6.5x47, 123gr Scenar and Varget load today.

Went from virgin to once fired brass. Obviously I have a small flaw in my annealing or resizing process because my ES and SD have doubled now (now 24 & 8 vs. ~ 12 & 5). Guess I'll have to start fiddling with crap.

Average velocity though is less than 5 FPS from what it was.

35.3gr Varget is the happiest spot in the low node at 2,785.

First group was shot off a bipod under 3-7 MPH full value winds yesterday. Confirmation group was shot in almost zero wind off of a front rest today. I couldn't pass up a chance to shoot in almost zero wind...I literally loaded those 15 rounds today because of the perfect weather.

Please excuse my poor man's targets.

20230408_161127.jpg

20230408_161215.jpg

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Loaded and shot my final 15 rounds for confirmation on my 6.5x47, 123gr Scenar and Varget load today.

Went from virgin to once fired brass. Obviously I have a small flaw in my annealing or resizing process because my ES and SD have doubled now (now 24 & 8 vs. ~ 12 & 5). Guess I'll have to start fiddling with crap.

Average velocity though is less than 5 FPS from what it was.

35.3gr Varget is the happiest spot in the low node at 2,785.

First group was shot off a bipod under 3-7 MPH full value winds yesterday. Confirmation group was shot in almost zero wind off of a front rest today. I couldn't pass up a chance to shoot in almost zero wind...I literally loaded those 15 rounds today because of the perfect weather.

Please excuse my poor man's targets.

20230408_161127.jpg

20230408_161215.jpg
I should have went this morning, but did yard work instead. Going tomorrow to see what differences I see using SP brass.

I've been working on removing a stubborn carbon ring in my Bergara without much luck. Could be a disaster with cleaning too

Nice groups man. I typically just shoot off a bipod and rear bag, but have given some thought to a quality front rest for load development. I think what keeps me from jumping is I've shot some of the best groups of my life off a bipod and rear bag (same ones I use in the field)

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I should have went this morning, but did yard work instead. Going tomorrow to see what differences I see using SP brass.

I've been working on removing a stubborn carbon ring in my Bergara without much luck. Could be a disaster with cleaning too

Nice groups man. I typically just shoot off a bipod and rear bag, but have given some thought to a quality front rest for load development. I think what keeps me from jumping is I've shot some of the best groups of my life off a bipod and rear bag (same ones I use in the field)

Thanks.

I shoot probably almost as good off of a bipod as well. If anything, I would guess that I actually have fewer fliers with a bipod...but it is easier to change POI if you aren't careful with your body positioning prior to touching off a shot.

I do switch back and forth with a decent front rest (Protektor front and rear). Guns that wear a stock pack I always just use a bipod and rear sock because the velcro straps will catch in the rear bag.

I'd love to test one of those high-dollar front rests like an SEB or Rodzilla or whatever...I just don't shoot enough...or we'll enough to justify the cost.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks.

I shoot probably almost as good off of a bipod as well. If anything, I would guess that I actually have fewer fliers with a bipod...but it is easier to change POI if you aren't careful with your body positioning prior to touching off a shot.

I do switch back and forth with a decent front rest (Protektor front and rear). Guns that wear a stock pack I always just use a bipod and rear sock because the velcro straps will catch in the rear bag.

I'd love to test one of those high-dollar front rests like an SEB or Rodzilla or whatever...I just don't shoot enough...or we'll enough to justify the cost.
I agree. I'm an "ok" shot, but nothing like these guys I watch on YouTube. I'm not sure between my current loading practices, factory barrels and ability it would help much 🤣

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sized 130 6.5x47 cases yesterday, bumping the shoulder .002. Will do the remaining 120 after work today.

Afterwards I'll dry tumble this batch in corn cob media. I wet tumbled the last batch, and at some point in my process produced an undesirable effect where my ES and SDs just about doubled.

Time to start experimenting with steps until I see where it is that I am messing something up.

rockchalk06

ʞlɒʜƆʞɔoЯ
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sized 130 6.5x47 cases yesterday, bumping the shoulder .002. Will do the remaining 120 after work today.

Afterwards I'll dry tumble this batch in corn cob media. I wet tumbled the last batch, and at some point in my process produced an undesirable effect where my ES and SDs just about doubled.

Time to start experimenting with steps until I see where it is that I am messing something up.
I ran into similar issues with SD's going wonky when I used a wet pin tumbler on my brass. This was with .308 Federal Match. I stopped it and now use my sonic cleaner, dehydrate at 110 degrees for a few hours, then tumble in corn cob with some Dillon polish if needed. It has helped a lot.

Latest posts

Top Bottom