What do you think about this woman in the Columbine area?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With folks that have not broken the law how do you decide when to pass judgement .............. That is a slippery slope!! In this day and age , you could say " I support trump" and some one will call you a racist. You piss your wife off and she makes accusations about your mental health and gets a couple of her friends to back her statement and now you sit in front of a anti gunner judge who stamps you mental.
Slippery slope!!
Bunch of weak minded people out there that live life bending to any wind and making decisions based on "feelings" instead of truth and or facts...

This is the difficult part. There really are people that should not have firearms, and the Red Flag laws are an attempt to deal with that. We have, after every shooting incident, gone with the position that something should have been done earlier, but when Red Flag laws are proposed, all we do is cuss them. We need to get involved in the development phase of these proposals and work to insure that the Due Process elements are sound.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I often wonder why medical doesn’t harvest organs for people needing them from people who are executed or like early on with this woman. Like when a robbery suspect is shot and the family agrees-I don’t remember anyone medical talking about things like this. Just thinking about the waste of life on the part of a lot of people. Of course, there are instances where organs can’t be donated as in a cancer patient...
Time... investigation takes time and organs don't last long after death. @tRidiot can probably explain that a little better than me.

Ethan N

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's not what I'm talking about at ALL. I'm talking about people with real mental illness. I've posted on here before about trying to get someone remanded to custody for the safety of the public - and themselves. Only to have them repeatedly released and eventually ending up killed by police.

Those are the people I'M talking about - clear cut cases of severe mental illness. We don't even have the fecking balls in this country to deal with THOSE people.
I have a ton of respect for your profession and what you deal with not only to try to help people like that, but to help keep the public safe from them. It sounds like it should be a simple issue. If someone’s mental health condition causes them to be a danger to themselves or others, they should be supervised to whatever degree necessary to prevent them from causing harm.

But I think @okierider ’s point still stands, even if his example isn’t relevant to clear cut cases like the one you referenced. How do we decide when someone has a mental health condition severe enough that limiting their rights to bodily autonomy, arms, etc. is necessary and justified? We have to make sure that process is as bulletproof as possible because the consequences of getting it wrong are disastrous if the accused is not actually dangerous.

I don’t work in healthcare and I don’t know what the right process is. But I’d be wary of a process that relies on evaluations and recommendations by healthcare professionals if there’s ever a chance all of those professionals could be selected by or paid by the state. We have to accept the inevitability that if there’s a process for stripping someone’s rights, even temporarily, it will end up being used as a political weapon (especially when we’re talking about 2A rights), so excellent safeguards must be in place. Most physicians can be trusted to be honest and not politically and/or financially motivated, but we’d be kidding ourselves to think they all can be. America already has a past haunted by mental health “treatment” being used as a political and social weapon. Let’s not repeat that.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yep, now we're getting red flag laws, where we say this person looks so mentally unstable and scary that we need to take their guns away, but not really do anything about what's making them unstable and scary.
Who is to determine who is crazy and unstable? The local moms against guns group? Most mental health officials I've ever been around think guns in general are a mental health disease and those that own them need treated.
Frontal Lobotomy anybody?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
With folks that have not broken the law how do you decide when to pass judgement .............. That is a slippery slope!! In this day and age , you could say " I support trump" and some one will call you a racist. You piss your wife off and she makes accusations about your mental health and gets a couple of her friends to back her statement and now you sit in front of a anti gunner judge who stamps you mental.
Slippery slope!!
Bunch of weak minded people out there that live life bending to any wind and making decisions based on "feelings" instead of truth and or facts...
Yep, buddy picked up his kids for visitation one day and the biatch from hell ex wife called LEO and reported he was drunk and driving his kids to his home and gave the address. He was stopped by several officers on the road, and had to do a field sobriety test to prove he wasn't drinking at all.
This same "opinion only" is being applied to the red flag law. I don't blame the Sheriff's for opposing it. They see this BS all the time.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Who is to determine who is crazy and unstable? The local moms against guns group? Most mental health officials I've ever been around think guns in general are a mental health disease and those that own them need treated.
Frontal Lobotomy anybody?
I know, it's tough question. It just seems silly to me that some are willing to say take their guns away cause they're scaring me; I'd rather they move to get help for the person.
But, I still say we don't punish people for what they might do, which is what red flag laws do, and we shouldn't be able to force someone into mental treatment because someone else is scared.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think forcing treatment should only be done in the most extreme cases, of which there are plenty. AND if you are deemed unable to make your own rational decisions AND made a ward of the state because of that, it should be clear cut you don't have the mental capacity to handle and own firearms. However, I think that process needs to be very stringent and clear, with multiple checks and balances and I agree that they should be handled by a group of people who "should be" somewhat impartial. But we need something in place - right now we have NOTHING, until someone has hurt someone.

Again... not talking about someone in a domestic disturbance due to an argument over custody or divorce or something similar. I am talking only about those clearly severely mentally ill and deranged. There are PLENTY of those we can deal with and put a process in place than can be evaluated and tweaked over time for effectiveness and fairness. You have to start somewhere.

Latest posts

Top Bottom