What has caused all the earthquakes lately?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WHat has caused all the quakes?

• Too many OSA members eating beans.

Votes: 26 22.0%
  • We suck all the oil out of the ground and now it's empty down there.

Votes: 21 17.8%
  • God's wrath is starting in the center of the US.

Votes: 24 20.3%
  • The Lib's want all us gun totin hellyuns to fall in a big sink hole.

Votes: 18 15.3%
  • JB is getting things in place for the new world order.

Votes: 42 35.6%

• Total voters

owu1bag5

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I feel that i should apoligize for the recent quakes, i mean i must be responsible because i personally have been on 65 or more wells this year alone that were fraced. See i work for schlumberger, on a frac crew. I personally ran the pumps that cause the fracture on many of these wells, and on some of them i have overseen the entire operation. So i definitely feel responsible......

Seriously though, let me give a little better idea of what it is that we do.

Well is drilled, we come in and pump water, sand, and chemicals down hole to help the well produce better. That is the short of it, here is the long version.

Well is drilled to a vertical depth of 6000 too 12000 feet. Some shallower, some deeper, but not much in either way in oklahoma. The average depth on the wells i have been on here in oklahoma is about 8000 feet. So after the drilling is completed a coil tubing unit or wireline unit comes in and goes down hole and creates a perforation with explosives so that we can create a fracture. Generally there are three to five perfs created in a particular zone. We rig up to the well head and pump water and sand and other chemicals down hole to create the fracture. The sand is also called proppant because it actually props the fracture open so that oil and gas can flow through the fracture. We pump any where between 100,000-550,000 pounds of sand and anywhere between 3,000 to 20,000 barrels of water per stage at a pressure between 5,000 to 15,000 psi. After a stage is over wireline or coil tubing goes down hole, sets a plug to seperate the zone we just fraced and then they perforate again. And then the frac process starts again.

As for the faucet water being lit on fire, i dont believe it. We frac far below the water table, and even if the fluids we pump down hole were to reach the water table, we dont pump a high enough concentration of the flammable chemicals to be flammable on surface after being mixed with clean water, much less after being further dilluted by the time the fluid made it to the water table.

So i guess rather than apologizing for causing the quakes, i could say you're welcome for helping provide the natural gas that heats your home in the winter.

Phat Mike

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma is not the only place that has fracking going on. I've been on some job's in east Texas ,Arkansas, and up in North Dakota. I don't see that the fracking has anything to do with it. IMHO

vvvvvvv

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As for the faucet water being lit on fire

I used to be able to do that with my water, and it comes from Foss Lake.

You'll notice they always use the hot water side. Ever looked at the color of the flame and considered the chemical reaction that takes place when water boils around a failed heating element? I think that pretty well explains it for me.

cowzrul

Distinguished 1998
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well regardless of the cause the shakes are real. So I call my USAA today to check on earthquake coverage. Said the phones have been going crazy since Saturdays healthy jolt. The deductible is 10% of the rebuild estimate for your home. WOW! That is just plum crazy!

Latest posts

Top Bottom