What idioms of speech annoy you?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
The one that annoys me is "You feel me?"

No, I do not "FEEL" you. Do you want me to "FEEL" you? Because I don't think you'd like it very much if I "FEEL' you.

It used to drive me nuts when GWB would say "nukular" instead of "nuclear". I'd be like "Should you really have control over nuclear weapons, when you can't even pronounce the word "nuclear"???

That is really the worst, because you can't even get away from yourself!

Right up there with, "See what I'm sayin?"

THAT Gurl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hey, Youse guys! I hate it when a waitress asks,"what would you guys like?" To the wife and me. We aren't guys! I am but she isn't.

At least this one I understand ... It's a way of avoiding pronoun issues. I use it a lot at work. Y'all is good too! (I'm literally just saying. Ya feel me??)

I was gonna go on and try to work them all in, but it is too painful. Lol

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Idioms are very confusing to students from other countries. I overheard someone say to a foreign student "are you pulling my leg?" And they responded "I'm not even touching you!"
Indeed. A friend of mine worked with a guy from China. He said when he first came over, folks would greet him with, "What's up?"

And he'd look up to see what they were talking about. :D

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, I am glad my wife and I aren't the nitpicky buzzkills our kids sometimes think we are, haha. My wife's family is very specific about using proper terminology for anything medical or anatomy related and I am very specific about choosing the correct word. I spend a decent amount of time reviewing long contracts and government regulatory documents and the specific words we choose are VERY important to me. We give them slack when they are speaking with friends, but proper grammar and word choice is enforced.

At the end of the day, we want them to be able to apply the appropriate filter to the situation at hand. At work, we need to show we are professional and well-versed in our field, socially there is a little lee way but still no free for all. I imagine that is why most of our friends are also of the same belief. We ran off the ones that didn't know how to use words correctly, haha.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Starting an answer to a question or statement with "So".
Agreeing with one's self by saying "Yea" or "So yea" mid-sentence like they don't know what to say or can't complete their point.
Sell for sale.

All of these are like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Latest posts

Top Bottom