What is the longest shot you have made?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TATER

Marksman
Reaction score
2447 yards with my .17 HMR on a B&C Arkansas whitetail. Sure, I had to shoot three times to take him down. But I grouped 0.00008
Good shooting! Is that caliber legal in Arkansas for deer?

Now that's funny! A mile and a half shot with a .17 HMR three times and grouped 0.00008 inches? HA! Best joke I heard all day.

ttt

Marksman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was young, dumb, and full of ***!!!

375 yds across a draw, 10 pt buck, 145 lbs field dressed @ check in, Western OK
Base of the neck shot, straight on
Sitting position, no support -- he surprised me coming up the hill across the draw to my rattling
Ruger Mk II All Weather .308, 180 gr. Fail Safe
Leupold 3.5-10X @ 10X
Light steady wind on my back, ~ 30F ambient temp

I'll never do that again as:

1. It's too far for my ability without a solid rest. I should have never taken that shot. I've only shot that gun out to 300 yds on a bag prior to that. My reasoning, at the time, is that I would probably miss altogether at that distance. No harm done, I thought, as it was the last day of the season.

2. I nearly killed myself and my brother dragging that dang deer back to the truck. We were so unprepared for the terrain at the time.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2. I nearly killed myself and my brother dragging that dang deer back to the truck. We were so unprepared for the terrain at the time.

Never hunted mountain country, but a friend that does, said that when he goes to colo, its common to see a trophy elk 200-300 yds away, but its on the other side of a canyon with a 1K drop. No way to get them out.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
110 steps with a .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk. Deer was walking directly away from me, hit 1" from bunghole. Deer walked 10 steps and fell over dead. Didn't say it was smart, but it was fun.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
110 steps with a .30 carbine Ruger Blackhawk. Deer was walking directly away from me, hit 1" from bunghole. Deer walked 10 steps and fell over dead. Didn't say it was smart, but it was fun.

That is a lot harder to do than hitting one at 500 with a scoped rifle...at least for me it would be.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
64 long paces when I was in H.S. Using a Ruger MKII pistol with open sights, offhand, nailed a meadowlark sitting on top of a T-post, 1st shot. Probably couldn't do it again in 50 shots.

Survivor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate long shots and try to do everything I can to get as close as I can.
My longest was on a cow elk at just over 250 yards. On that hunt I was shooting a 7MM Rem. Mag. and the bullet destroyed her heart. By the way I love to eat the heart of the big game I kill. YUM!

Latest posts

Top Bottom