What is your #1 thru #3 order for best semi auto .45acp ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
2) S&W 4505 or 4506 (or a 645 in a pinch)
3) Sig P220

Of course, pretty much any 1911 from a brand-name maker is #1. Everything else...well nothing else really matters. That's not to say there aren't some good guns out there.

I'm pretty partial to my Colt Special Combat Gov't Carry model. But the Springfield Professional is pretty tough to beat by anyone. Even Colt... A good 1911 just has a soul that not many other guns have.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
really, really depends on what you are looking for.

high capacity? something like an FNX or older FNP might be nice.

all metal and single action only? obviously you can't beat a 1911, not really my bag (i'm not old enough yet!!) but they all seem to be great firearms.

all metal and *not* single action only? any of the 3rd gen smiths in 45

striker? people definitely like their 45 glocks, but i've got a walther ppq 45 and i love it. holds 12+1, great striker trigger, low recoil, threaded barrel standard. i just wish it had a paddle mag release like all my other walther semi-autos!!

small boi? kimber ultra carry or colt defender. obviously these overlap with 1911, but they are always smaller than i expect.

want the best BEAST? go with a Mark 23

there have been a few USP 45's on the classifieds lately and i have to admit i almost pulled the trigger on one. they look very, very nice.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I like my SAM thunderbolt 1911 made in Philippines looks like a Gold Cup with a rail. Very accurate. Got it off a fellow OSA'er several years ago.
Also have Glock 21

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like joegrizzy said, all .45s are not created the same. There are gooduns in all 3 versions: single action, DA/SA and striker fired.

Single action would be any varient of 1911.

DA/SA my choice would be a S&W 645 or 4506, or maybe even a Sig P220 if the Smith is too heavy (and it is).

As for striker fire, you have Glocks and HKs, but my very favorite is the one in my nightstand right now...the M&P45 Compact M2.0. It's almost exactly the same size as a Glock 19X/45, sports a 10 round magazine and feels absolutely delightful in the hand. Much better than them other two plastic 45s I named earlier.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When you say "your" I am guessing you mean the three you own. H&K USP Expert, H&K USP Tactical, and Kimber Polymer Stainless Target. If you mean any made, I will go with Nighthawk (about any), H&K USP Expert, and a Les Baer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom