What is the purpose of a PCC for the avg guy?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKNewshawk

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted an easily suppress-able PDW type gun for uhh, “home defense.”

So either a .300blk SBR/pistol with expensive ammo I didn’t already have, or some 9mm PCC type gun that shoots ammo I have from mags I have.

It was an economic decision at that point.
I'm thinking of converting my .300 BLK pistol to a 9mm pistol for just that reason. I'd keep the .300 BLK upper, though. I like multipurpose tools...

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My first PCC was a Beretta CX4 in 9mm. They are hard to find, but they also make them in 40 S&W and 45 ACP. The ACP mags are expensive when you can find them.

I had no interest until I went to a Steel Challenge match with my Son and Granddaughter. PCC had just been announced as an option for the matches.

I only went to the match that day to watch them shoot. After shooting her string she strutted over to where I was, put her hands her hips and and said “Grandpa, if you ever shoot this, I’m gonna whup you”.

My reply was “It’s on darlin”.

On my way home from the match I went to Academy Sports and they had one on sale at the bottom of the sales counter. I bought it and she never did beat me.

I have others to play with as well. The most recents are a Ruger PC9 made in 1997 and the latest version, a Ruger Take Down 9mm.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
My first PCC was a Beretta CX4 in 9mm. They are hard to find, but they also make them in 40 S&W and 45 ACP. The ACP mags are expensive when you can find them.

I had no interest until I went to a Steel Challenge match with my Son and Granddaughter. PCC had just been announced as an option for the matches.

I only went to the match that day to watch them shoot. After shooting her string she strutted over to where I was, put her hands her hips and and said “Grandpa, if you ever shoot this, I’m gonna whup you”.

My reply was “It’s on darlin”.

On my way home from the match I went to Academy Sports and they had one on sale at the bottom of the sales counter. I bought it and she never did beat me.

I have others to play with as well. The most recents are a Ruger PC9 made in 1997 and the latest version, a Ruger Take Down 9mm.
Good times at steel challenge.

jollyrancher

Marksman
Reaction score
What I like about pcc's is they don't destroy steel targets and allow more flexibility on the range. I wanted a place where I can move around and engage targets. I started a range, more like a course, on one of my farms last spring. There is a dry creek with trees running several hundred yards that has a cliff on one side. As long as you shoot to the south or west, the cliffs will catch the stray bullets. Plan is to load it down with steel plates suspended from tree limbs using rope and cut up straps from a round baler. We're talking lots of plates scattered down the entire length that you have to walk through and engage at different spots. I have about a quarter of it built, but there is already enough targets that I can blow through 200 rounds in no time. To build this with ar 500 plate would cost a fortune. Plus most shots are under 80 yds. Trees are a strip of about 40 yds so that keeps it pinched down on range. I am using 1/2 and 3/8 mild steel cut in varying sized squares, most are about 8 in by 8 in. Between the type of steel and distance, ar's in rifle calibers are a no go. They'd destroy my targets.
I have an aero epc9 that I shoot on it. It works great for the situation. Allows mag change manipulations just like its bigger brothers, handles the same... good training. Another plus is if you run suppressed. Rifles get the suppressor hot, fast. It takes many more rounds to get the can on a 9mm to burn you. I practice dropping my slinged pcc and drawing my sidearm. Damn muffler always ends up on your pant leg, but I don't have any burn marks on my pants.
Oh, and some will say a .22 would work in the 9mm's place. Umm, no. Zero recoil with a .22. Double taps are child's play. There is no training for recoil recovery.

crapsguy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've held off on these because money doesn't grow on trees and ammo is not cheap to have a 9mm plinking toy, where 22lr already satisfies that urge...what is the practical purpose for a PCC other than plinking where a full-sized pistol and/or semi-auto rifle would not suffice?

Here are some of the advantages I thought of but not pertinent enough for me to get one so far:

- more compact than a rifle in some cases (easier to take on a boat, truck, etc.)
- less powerful than a rifle and therefore maybe safer for some uses such as predator control on land

For those who have or do not have a PCC, share your reasons.
I found a kel-tec 9mm on the cheap a while back and bought it for my wife thinking she could shoot it straighter and more comfortable as she doesn't like to shoot pistols bigger than 22 -- it came with 3 single stack mags so that is a limiter but still way better than her little ruger wheel gun --- jury is still out as she has yet to shoot the thing.... also IMO odds of actually needing it for home defense is pretty slim

Latest posts

Top Bottom