What tractor attachment for shaving off grass???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Go rent a real tractor and box blade for a weekend or hire someone to come in with the right equipment. Here a guy on Craigslist advertises Tractor Work in the Farm and Garden section. Not sure what the going rate is, I paid a guy $50.00 an hour 15 years ago to do some stuff around here before I bought my tractor.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Go rent a real tractor and box blade for a weekend or hire someone to come in with the right equipment. Here a guy on Craigslist advertises Tractor Work in the Farm and Garden section. Not sure what the going rate is, I paid a guy $50.00 an hour 15 years ago to do some stuff around here before I bought my tractor.
I agree, a lawn tractor isnt made for this type of job first of all. Hire it done. I had a neighbor in Tuttle that uses a tractor an box blade to make a living building house pads.. Dont have his number but I could probably get it. Also dont know where your located.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
20170626_171742.jpg
I'll be right over and we'll knock down the humps lol :)

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well I talked with some guys at my work and they said that the sod cutter/tiller/rake method should work, but they think hire it done is best. I guess I'm back to that route...I have a quest to be as self-sufficient as possible but I'm not going to spend a grand on lawn tractor attachments that "might" work; also time is money and like money it is very limited! If I can't find anyone, I will try and do it myself but I'm leaning back to hiring.

I need to get a tiller regardless but I wasn't planning to start a garden in my new location until maybe next year...perhaps if i get one now, I could still use it in fall/winter (if ground not frozen) to prepare the garden plot...I can prob rent a tiller too LOL. YES, PM me if you know someone.

One member here offered to bring his tractor over already whose is in the Moore/Norman area (near me) but he had no way to haul it...I have a trailer but it is covered so that prob wouldn't work. Y'all are still the best for putting up with me for all my other threads & comments; great bunch of guys!

View attachment 102833 I'll be right over and we'll knock down the humps lol :)

Wow...that would take out the fence and all LOL...be like using a 50 cal for squirrel hunting

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Box blades are better for moving extra material to low areas. The blade lets the material move out one side almost immediately. Sounds like you should get a few estimates from someone experienced. You may find that you will tie up 2 times as much in equipment to do the job yourself. 3-4 times as much if you trash you lawn tractor.

okie362

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More if you tear up the yard and piss off the wife. Always have to consider collateral damage.

(I'd still go with the D6 though.) If you are going to get in trouble might as well have fun with it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Lets say I did buy a sleeve hitch, how would one determine which of these type of blades would be needed to smooth the dirt?

"box blade" vs "tow behind blade"

http://www.homedepot.com/s/brinly%20blade?NCNI-5

I see the box blade is able to be weighted but other than that what's the diff?
What kind of garden tractor do you have? I have a sleeve hitch and box blade with rippers that I used to prepare the soil in preparation to put in a 50' sidewalk. I'm not using it anymore and probably need to move it. It was on a Sears 48" deck garden tractor, but could be easily modified if one has that capability, to fit just about anything.

Latest posts

Top Bottom