What tractor attachment for shaving off grass???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not a sod cutter. Cut the strips of sod out. Roll them up and out of the way, use a box Gannon or other method of dirt removal then roll the sod back in place and be done with it.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Why not a sod cutter. Cut the strips of sod out. Roll them up and out of the way, use a box Gannon or other method of dirt removal then roll the sod back in place and be done with it.

How large of an area is it? You could use a sod cutter, cut the sod 2" deep, roll it up, remove it, box blade to grade and replace sod. Lots of labor in this but a nice final product.
yep

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Box blades are better for moving extra material to low areas. The blade lets the material move out one side almost immediately. Sounds like you should get a few estimates from someone experienced. You may find that you will tie up 2 times as much in equipment to do the job yourself. 3-4 times as much if you trash you lawn tractor.

Yeah, I'm on the fence on using the tractor but I pulled a loaded covered trailer on a relatively level surface so far as a test; I need to put full syn 15w50 in the tranny to prolong it (tractor has only 10hrs on it now). But of course no drain plug and fill plug gets destroyed easy on K46 and hard to get to with gear oil pump.

More if you tear up the yard and piss off the wife. Always have to consider collateral damage.

(I'd still go with the D6 though.) If you are going to get in trouble might as well have fun with it.

A cat D6 why not a D8 if I'm gonna go that far LOL

What kind of garden tractor do you have? I have a sleeve hitch and box blade with rippers that I used to prepare the soil in preparation to put in a 50' sidewalk. I'm not using it anymore and probably need to move it. It was on a Sears 48" deck garden tractor, but could be easily modified if one has that capability, to fit just about anything.

Thanks Dennis. If it was a garden tractor I'd be in better shape, it is a lawn tractor (42" deck) but so far it has done all I've asked above mowing. Do you know a p/n on the hitch? Maybe I could compare a pic of it to the MTD factory one to see if the mounting seems similar.

I think no matter what I do I've already decided that is in the mix...the idea of removing the grass clean seems like I could get a better grade no matter if i bring in someone or not to scrape it.

Truth is, if you have to ask this much advice on it, and continue to be unsure of what to do, you might be in over your head.

Oh I admit that, but I'm learning my capabilities and testing the waters...next is a welder LOL

The high areas are pretty clear now that I had a guy laser level and check my existing grade.

Dave70968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oh I admit that, but I'm learning my capabilities and testing the waters...next is a welder LOL
To that end, Moore-Norman Technology Center offers a class called "Welding for Home, Farm, and Ranch" aimed at the home hobbyist/handyman. I took it several years ago (2012, maybe?), and I definitely recommend it. My welding is definitely much better as a result.

BReeves

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy of mine rented a sod cutter couple years ago. Be prepared for a work out, was really slow going and even with two additional workers it was a chore. We gave up after about 30 feet. Big problem was the rental cutter was in bad need of a little TLC which it wasn't getting at the rental place.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Buddy of mine rented a sod cutter couple years ago. Be prepared for a work out, was really slow going and even with two additional workers it was a chore. We gave up after about 30 feet. Big problem was the rental cutter was in bad need of a little TLC which it wasn't getting at the rental place.

Well that took the wind outta my sails...don't u just love how something that makes someone a living is not taken care of...Reminds me of some of the rental tools at the autoparts stores...abused and sometimes don't do the job as a result.

FreeSpiritBalloon

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a manual sleeve hitch off my cub cadet LT1050 you can try. I switched to electric and front end loader from Johnny Bucket Jr. You can spend a fortune once you get started. http://www.johnnyproducts.com/J_Bucket_HTMs/JBpage_Jr_Cub-Cadet1000_Toro.htm
I converted a rototiller attachment for it also. Just take it easy on the transaxle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom