What's a good deer hunting rifle??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

44minimum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything bigger than a 243, it is considered sort of marginal for deer, although many people use it successfully, it provides low recoil and helps to make good shooting habits. 260, 270, 7mm08, 308, 30.06, 30-30, .35 Remington, .44 mag all good choices. Anything bigger is not needed for deer and most people do not deal well with the muzzle blasts, makes them start flinching.
I'd look into Winchester 94, savage 110, Remington 700, Winchester model 70, howa, TC, several other good choices, go to a well stocked store and see which fits you the best and then practice.

kdlong

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
made full circle back in the kiamichi mountains in
you can get a weatherby vanguard for 399 in most calibers talked about just remember that smaller calibers won't kick as much but you have to have a bullet with atleast 55 grains of lead the best all around deer gun is probaly the 30-30 anyone from kids to women even grown men can handle them theres been more big game taken with them than any other caliber

Relentless

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
you can get a weatherby vanguard for 399 in most calibers talked about just remember that smaller calibers won't kick as much but you have to have a bullet with atleast 55 grains of lead the best all around deer gun is probaly the 30-30 anyone from kids to women even grown men can handle them theres been more big game taken with them than any other caliber

That's a howa, so you might as well save a few bucks off the name

Shifty

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You have asked a very open ended question...

My main whitetail gun is a Remington 700 in .308 with a pretty cheap BSA scope, and ive killed lots of deer with it.

.270 is a good round, though im kinda partial to .30 cal stuff.

Savage makes great guns as well, i own one in .22-250 and love the crap out of it.

Edit: I have less than $600 in my .308 rig. My advice to you would be get a Savage or Remington in .270, .308, .30-06, or something common along those lines. You should be able to get the rifle for under 500 easy, after that, throw as much money as you can at a scope setup. The diference in cheap glass and good glass is amazing if youput them side by side.

DeerCreek

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that, I just want to hear what people here like to use. Im even thinking of trying a bow.

As for bow hunting I prefer Hoyt. I'm on my second one and I am very pleased. Some of my friends prefer Matthews.

Back on rifles I like Remington but I would like to try a CZ. I've met a couple of people who really liked them.

bigcountryok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know that, I just want to hear what people here like to use. Im even thinking of trying a bow.

Ok, sorry, it just sounded like you were new to the whole concept. I misunderstood.

Savage rifles are good and can be found for a good price $500 or less. I have a SS 30-06 and love the accutriger

Remington are good rifles for a decent price, however I personally don't like some of the new cheaper models that have been released. (i.e. Model 710)

I've had good luck with Ruger M77 too, but some in the sniper community will complain about their barrels. I haven't had a problem for basic hunting and shooting.

As far as Archery Hunting goes, I so GO FOR IT. Its challenging, frustrating, costs way too much, and leaves you ready to pull your hair out but with an aweful urge to go back and do it again.

climbtothebeet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ive got a stevans 30-06. love it. not heavy at all, cheap, give you money to put where you need to, rings and scope. And, everything on them is older savage technology. Out of the box 2" groups at 200 yards is an easy task. great gun, but not the most asthticaly pleasing.

Latest posts

Top Bottom